How good were Pink Floyd?

I've listened to Waters and Gilmores solo stuff and it doesn't do it for me.

Waters presented the "Wall" or "The Pro's And Cons" to Gilmore, Wright and Mason for the next LP in 1978.

They chose the Wall.

It would have been interesting if they had chosen Pros and Cons as to how that would have turned out.
Fair enough mate. I'll probably get into Gilmour's solo stuff one day but i may even have to smoke weed to mellow myself enough to appreciate it, not something i want to get into the habit of though.

I'm a bit different, for me his best solo was pro's & Cons, agree about KAOS = Dire. Clapton played great guitar on KAOS.
Didn't like Bored Amused To Death
I knew Clapton played on Pros & Cons (which I’ll give another listen to, based on what you’ve said), but had no idea he played on Kaos too - are you 100% about that?

As for Amused, I honestly think you’re being a tad harsh. He brought out a really good live album in 2000 called In The Flesh which included about 4 tracks from Amused, and listening to the whole album, there’s no obvious drop in quality between those songs & the Floyd tracks they are surrounded by.

I knew Clapton played on Pros & Cons (which I’ll give another listen to, based on what you’ve said), but had no idea he played on Kaos too - are you 100% about that?

As for Amused, I honestly think you’re being a tad harsh. He brought out a really good live album in 2000 called In The Flesh which included about 4 tracks from Amused, and listening to the whole album, there’s no obvious drop in quality between those songs & the Floyd tracks they are surrounded by.
Jay Stapley played lead guitar on Radio Kaos.

Sorry I meant Clapton played on pros & cons.
Really well..

Weaker as a group maybe but a juggernaut sales wise its a no contest, the Pros and Cons probably seen as Waters finest solo work although I prefer Amused to Death sold just under 600,000 where as the division bell did 12,000,000

Even Floyds last little scrape the archives album did 2,500.000 so the question to be asked if Roger was so fucking good in his own mind why didn't he carry those Floyd fans with him?
At risk of stating the obvious, he didn’t carry the band’s name did he?! It wasn’t a case of following/buying/going to see ‘David Gilmour’ or/vs ‘Roger Waters’, it was ‘Pink Floyd’ vs Roger Waters. Didn’t surprise me at all.
Especially as sound wise Gilmours version was far less adventurous than Waters solo, and basically just tried to generate a facsimile of their classic records.
There was also always a proportion of their fans who would follow the Gilmour guitar/soloing sound cone what may.
As such, the question can be asked, but imho, it can also be answered, without demeaning or downplaying Waters achievements in any way.

The post Waters Floyd albums are to me Floyd by numbers but they did one or two decent things. Of course Gilmour didn't retire the name cos they wouldn't have sold so many albums and tickets. Waters solo albums are average. He left Floyd cos he knew he'd peaked , which the solo albums prove. A brave and honourable thing to do.

Lol

TBF There are some cracking tunes on the Gilmore fronted Pink Floyd Division Bell album. But I rarely listen to the Momentary lapse of reason album. I even had a chance to go to Maine Road to watch them but turned down the ticket as I'd already seen the real deal twice 1977 & 1980. The club I go drinking in one of my mates saw the Syd Barrett fronted Pink Floyd in early 1968 at the Imperial Ballroom Nelson. It comes up in conversation a lot:-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.