How good were Pink Floyd?

TBF There are some cracking tunes on the Gilmore fronted Pink Floyd Division Bell album. But I rarely listen to the Momentary lapse of reason album. I even had a chance to go to Maine Road to watch them but turned down the ticket as I'd already seen the real deal twice 1977 & 1980. The club I go drinking in one of my mates saw the Syd Barrett fronted Pink Floyd in early 1968 at the Imperial Ballroom Nelson. It comes up in conversation a lot:-)
I went to see PF on the MLOR tour here in Oz around 1988 and tbh that's when I lost interest in them.
I saw them in the 70's at the Free Trade Hall, there was 4 of them. This time there was about 10 on stage, I was expecting 4.
I didn't feel like I was seeing PF but a sort of PF musical with poor songs from their new album. MLOR was a poor PF album with an awful sleeve imo. It was more like a David Gilmour solo album with session musicians and various other writers.

Last edited:
I went to see PF on the MLOR tour here in Oz around 1988 and tbh that's when I lost interest in them.
I saw them in the 70's at the Free Trade Hall, there was 4 of them. This time there was about 10 on stage, I was expecting 4.
I didn't feel like I was seeing PF but a sort of PF musical with poor songs from their new album. MLOR was a poor PF album with an awful sleeve imo. It was more like a David Gilmour solo album with session musicians and various other writers.
I totally agree. You see the Official stuff thats been released from 1987 to 1989 World Tour, like the Venice gig. It just seems to be them like you say with all the extra musicians. My eldest lad whose 40 who also is a semi pro drummer loves what we class as Pink Floyd. He hates the MLOR LP he's convinced they have used a drum machine on it, I don't like it because like you say it feels like a Gilmore solo LP. When I saw the Wall show at Earls Court in London 1980, they had two drummers which I found strange because I thought Mason's playing on the 1977 tour was superb. For me Floyds LP's Meddle through to Animals is them at their peak, although I didn't like Atom Heart Mother mainly becasue of the brass element. However there are some sensational live versions of the song Atom Heart Mother mainly from the 1970/71 tours with no brass in and they are superb. Not sure how much you like them now, but 10 years ago I joined the Yeeshkul torrent site and boy oh boy you can fill your boots on there, with both live bootleg recordings and just anything Floyd related.

I must say, I'm disappointed with the Animals Remix album. I gave it a close listen with the headphones today and it's very gimmicky.

All they seem to have done is exaggerate some of the audio effects which removes all nuance. It was mixed properly in the first place.

Also, they've brought back in some guitar parts that were either low in the mix before, or left out. But there was a  reason why they were left out before, for fuck's sake!

I also noticed that they have made the bass more prominent. Listening to it closely, it made me a bit suspicious about who was actually playing it: to my mind, there's no way that it's Roger. There's some very technical stuff on there. Either that or he had really paid attention to his bass lines on this record, and practised them like hell!

I see Waters has responded to Maconie in typical Waters style...

"There is a crappy article in The New Statesman, written, if you can call it writing, by a chap called Stuart Maconie.

It’s the usual, shit stirring, ill informed nonsense. However, there is, in the article, something upon which I need to set the record straight. When talking about a new recording I have made of DSOTM, he writes, with an unearned condescending authority, about the process of making this new recording, and I quote, “Part of this will involve him removing, as quoted in Spain’s El Pais newspaper, Gilmour’s “horrible guitar solos”.

Now, I don’t know who he thinks he’s quoting when he says Gilmour’s “horrible guitar solos” but it sure as shit ain’t me. I was there, I love Dave’s guitar solos on DSOTM, both of them, and on WYWH and on ANIMALS and on THE WALL and on THE FINAL CUT. In my, albeit biased view, Dave’s solos on those albums, constitute a collection of some of the very best guitar solos in the history of Rock and Roll.

So, Stuart Maconie, you little prick, next time, please check your copy with the subjects of your grubby little piece, before you go to print.

Love

Roger Waters"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.