How long is your commute to work?

In my heyday I commuted an hour and three quarters each way, door to door, for 10 years.

Drive to station, train into London then walk from Charing X.

A mug’s game.
My longest commute to work was when I did three stints on the Orkney Islands 2 years ago. 8 n' half hour solid drive to Scrabster ferry. Hour n' half sail to Kirkwall and a 30 minute drive to the north of the island. Then do a couple of hours prep work for 10-12 hrs work next day. Chasing the coin all over the UK in all weathers burned me out so I got out of it. Nowadays I work part time a mere 5 minutes drive away.

My longest commute to work was when I did three stints on the Orkney Islands 2 years ago. 8 n' half hour solid drive to Scrabster ferry. Hour n' half sail to Kirkwall and a 30 minute drive to the north of the island. Then do a couple of hours prep work for 10-12 hrs work next day. Chasing the coin all over the UK in all weathers burned me out so I got out of it. Nowadays I work part time a mere 5 minutes drive away.

Yeah, best off out of it, mate. The things we do to chase money.

I did the 1/1.5 hour commutes for far too long into Manchester. Then trekking up to Scottish Highlands, down to Brighton, across to Ireland and just about everywhere in between in a different job.

For the last 7-8 years I’ve worked from home in the main, just odd site visits as and when needed but very rarely in rush hour so it’s generally a pretty leisurely drive wherever I’m going. Still the odd meetings the old fashioned way but thankfully only a couple of days a month.

I’m not sure mate. The general rule of thumb is to pick where you live based on the transport to your work. Tubes and trains are frequent (in my case waiting over 5 minutes is a long time). Buses are decent too (although I have to take people’s word for that - personally haven’t used them).

I think most people commute for around 30 - 40 minutes.
Fuck that, pick where you want to live and find a job closer. Jobs can change all too frequently, your home is your home.

Fuck that, pick where you want to live and find a job closer. Jobs can change all too frequently, your home is your home.

Depends on you chosen industry. my chosen industry ( video games ) is quite sparsely populated around the country so i've moved a hell of a lot ( London, Leeds, Liverpool, Stafford, Manchester + others) just for a job.

However I've moved out of Games now so it opens a lot more possibilities for staying in 1 place.

my current commute is 1-2h each way depending on trains/connections.

50 miles, an hour on the way in, bit more on the way home depending on the shitshow that is the M60 from the bottom of the M61 to Chadderton but that's for another thread

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.