How many games can we realistically afford to lose?

Stoned Rose said:
I reckon 87 points will win it this season.

Therefore theoretically we could afford to lose 9 games. This is assuming we win the other 29.

Losing games isn't the be all and end all. Winning them is.

For example:

Team A - plays 38 games, wins 27, draws 9, loses 0 and gets 90 points. (no losses)

Team A plays 38 games, wins 32, draws 0, loses 6 but gets 96 points. (6 losses)
How many title-winning teams can you name that went through a season without drawing a few?

The reason the Rags won the league last season was because they continually beat the teams like Cardiff which means they could afford to ose the odd big game. If we are to have any chance this season our away record against these average teams needs to improve by about 500%

Last night was kind of a let-off for us, and limits the damage caused by the defeat on Sunday. When the fixtures were announced, a team with ambitions of winning the league should be on 6 points out of those first 2 games, especially with the difficult fixtures United have been handed. Last night has saved us from being off the pace already, and yes I know it's only 2 games in but still, beating teams like Cardiff is a must if a title is to be won. Slate wiped clean now we must give Hull a tonking, and with United away to Liverpool it's there for us to go 2 clear of them, should they lose. No more defeats like that on Sunday, that's how many of those we can afford to lose - none. Lose away at one or two of the big games and win the corresponding home fixture and it's title-winning form.

This season is going to be totally different to last. I think everyone will be beating everyone and loads of unexpected draws and losses involving teams along the way.

Cardiff will be a blessing in disguise for us to shape up and an even look at strengthening at the back before deadline.

Chelsea- if they lose Mata is massive.

Them lot - if no new signings I don't think they can cope with injuries.

Arsenal - at the minute just about challenging top four at a stretch.

Spurs - Could make a real good go at it in my opinion, depending on who comes in with Bale money.

Liverpool - shouldn't even be in the conversation, therefore are not.

Kinkys Left Foot said:
Not sure, am I the only one who thinks it's possible that with Spurs getting stronger and any sign of a return to some sort of form by Arsenal that realistically there could be 5 or 6 teams in with a shout of the CL places this season who may well take points of one another that the loss counts may be a bit higher than normal, say 7 or 8 with a scattering of draws
No mate, you're not the only one. Add an improved Liverpool into the mix and as I said earlier 82-84 points will win it imo. Talk of 90+ points is nonsense, I reckon.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Kinkys Left Foot said:
Not sure, am I the only one who thinks it's possible that with Spurs getting stronger and any sign of a return to some sort of form by Arsenal that realistically there could be 5 or 6 teams in with a shout of the CL places this season who may well take points of one another that the loss counts may be a bit higher than normal, say 7 or 8 with a scattering of draws
No mate, you're not the only one. Add an improved Liverpool into the mix and as I said earlier 82-84 points will win it imo. Talk of 90+ points is nonsense, I reckon.
I agree abt 90+ points,no chance of that
Think yours could be a fairer target tbh to win the title
Maybe even go to 86 points.

You can afford to lose games but not this early in the season. Mou would rather get a draw against United than risk losing. He knows his team is going to pummel small teams. Another one or two losses in the next five games means title is over. Title winners need to set the pace and hit to ground running they can drop a few games when they're comfortable. Basically need to maintain position on the table which means never droping from 1 or 2 over the campain.

We lose a embarrasing game but I believe it will be a postive note in the end,
Before this game, everyone is saying we are the team to beat. after losing to a champion league opponent essentially, we have become the under dog. remeber the eight points recovery, just when eveyone is saying we are finished.
Fix the CB problem and have the under-dog mentality. The Chinese has a saying which is very true "Cocky army will always definitely lose".
It is a great lesson, so glad it happened early!

Can't believe some people are saying oh it's okay, others around us have dropped points.No.
With the exception of the rags today, they're not dropping pints in their easiest fixtures. They're still yet to visit them and I reckon they will do what we've failed and collect their "guaranteed points."

We've 1 in 9 from the easiest away games we'll see the whole year. They're only going to get harder. We're now going to have to rely on getting results at fortresses like Everton, Sunderland, WBA etc...

Not good enough; we won't win the title.

We're going to have to go on a monster run, I just don't see it.

FromPollockToSilva said:
The average over the last five seasons is 4.8, with no fewer than 4 and no more than 6.

well good news is United are well and truly Fxxked

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.