How many here are multilingual?

On the must see documtaries thread there is a link to a doc where the fella learnt Icelandic which is supposed to be one of the most difficult to master in a week.
The boy with the amazing brain.

The fish sauce thread had me thinking who can speak mpre than one language on here?

I can speak enough laotion-thai to get by when there but couldn't do a full speech to an audience amd used to be able to write it really well but not needed to for 6-7 years so an rusty.

When I lived in jersey I learnt a little portuguese to get by but that was 13 years ago and cannot really remember most of it.

I can however swear in polish, fench, italian, german and thai pretty fluently.

So anyone multilingial on here?

Was that when you were time travelling back to the 15th century and needed to trade with Vasco de Gama? Otherwise I'm stumped.

Able to understand and converse reasonably in Afrikaans thanks to the wife and living out there for nearly 5 years.

Daughter in law is from Chile, so fluent in Spanish and grandkids are fluent also. My son is virtually fluent and speaks french quite well.

It’s strange that my daughter-in-law can instantly recognise an Argentinian Colombian or Uruguayan accent as it all seems the same to my ears.

In fairness can she tell a manc from a scouser from the accent alone?

Bet you can

I'm trying to learn Spanish and have been using Duolingo App on my phone..it's ok but it's not conversational as yet ..do you have any tips on how to pick it up quickly
I went to Valencia last year and took a course there for a fortnight. I realised that I needed to listen more. So I got into listening to Coffee Break Spanish podcasts and then Showtime Spanish by the same people. I really recommend them. I follow umpteen Spanish YouTube sites such as Español Con Juan, Dreaming Spanish, Easy Spanish etc which I enjoy. My listening is now much improved than a year ago so much so that when I returned to Valencia this year I took another class for a week this time and was able to contribute much more to the Conversational Class. I love it. My tip is that you basically have to immerse yourself in Spanish and escuchar, escuchar, escuchar.

Danish, German and English. After over 20 years in Munich working for different US companies I speak all 3 languages more or less equally poorly. Born as a Dane I can handle Norwegian and Swedish reasonably well too but that is easy as they are close to Danish.

I went to Valencia last year and took a course there for a fortnight. I realised that I needed to listen more. So I got into listening to Coffee Break Spanish podcasts and then Showtime Spanish by the same people. I really recommend them. I follow umpteen Spanish YouTube sites such as Español Con Juan, Dreaming Spanish, Easy Spanish etc which I enjoy. My listening is now much improved than a year ago so much so that when I returned to Valencia this year I took another class for a week this time and was able to contribute much more to the Conversational Class. I love it. My tip is that you basically have to immerse yourself in Spanish and escuchar, escuchar, escuchar.

Cheers mate..I listen to a few things and tend to find it's easier following the gist of a conversation when it's men....women tend to end some words and begin the next words and it seems like one word.
I will try a few of the YouTube channels you mentioned..thanks again

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.