How many more people will now become City fans?

City have a huge demographic problem, we lost almost 3 of the last 4 generations of traditional city fans due to the clubs own incompetence and the aftermath of Munich,

I never heard and complaints of fans from outside the city in the 60/70s

So wr can't complain about the 'jonnie come lately ' fans now we are successfull again

I personally know plenty of blues from way outside manc land who have supported us since ce our godd spetta in the 60/70/80s

It's time for us to grow up as a fan base and understand its not all about Gorton or moss side any more
It is still about Moss Side and Gorton though isn't it? Because there are fans and there are shirt sales, and your ties are going to be deeper if the club carries the name of an area. That has to mean something, because for thousands of people, Manchester City is their local team and the team they have supported since childhood, birth, and through father, mother, grandfather, great grandfather and beyond. Let's be honest there are fans and there are fans. The Manc kiddie who never gets to a game but gets bullied in his class by Rags and treasures the badge - he's a fan - because of what it means at that age. The thousands of us who follow the club home and away, they are fans. The folk abroad and all over the country who form OSCs and pack out local pubs and bars to watch City, they are fans.

But a shirt sale and fan isn't the same thing. If a random is walking down the street in a shirt in a place thousands of miles from here, you just can't know. Maybe he watches every game of ours on a streaming device and he is a fan. Maybe he's a Manc abroad. Or maybe he's just wearing an item that's become associated with winning and branding, in the same way we all used to wear NY Yankees hats in the 90s but none of us had ever watched a baseball game.

At my lad's football sessions you see the kids wearing Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG tops but I doubt any of them are fans on a level that will survive their favourite player leaving. This is Manchester so how many of them will settle on Blue or Red with time unless they have some real meaningful connection to a foreign team?

I see the point, and I know it makes me sound like a parochial, romantic fucker ( I am) or like I'm disrespecting the many wonderful Blues outside the city ( I'm not) but the link between football clubs and geography still means a great deal to me. I will always be excited to see new 'traditional' Blues here in Manchester because that's the way it should be - we're meant to have at least half the city, really all of it - the 90s, when we lost those generations, was not the norm, and following City isn't just about liking a brand of football or awe at how we play it's about working people's pride in seeing Manchester beat other cities. Anything else is a bonus. I think that's a point worth stressing because it's important that our owners know it and understand it.

Last edited:
It's worth mentioning that these days wearing a shirt doesn't even make you a fan, for British kids. They will regularly have multiple shirts: one for their local club, one for a premier league club and more for foreign teams. These used to all be BArcelona but now you see PSG and Bayern amongst others. I strongly suspect it's the same abroad.
I know a few who’ve wanted a Messi or Ronaldo jersey etc. Not the club but the player.

Odd mentality.

City ‘shirts’ have been emerging in Yaaarksherrr for several years now.

Touring the dales this week and shirts in tiny villages,hamlets,tea shops and pubs.

Additionally, the conversation now is about City being the best in the WORLD....Manchester,England,Britain, Europe is passé....it’s the WORLD !!

Fuck me, Wycombe doubled us not so long ago !!

I have been mostly neutral for 15 years, having grown up in the states. I’ve tended to follow a few different clubs for a few years and when the players all leave I don’t follow it anymore. Have never followed a winning club. I’ve always had one rule and that was I always wanted United to lose, so by default I’d watch City. Fell in love with KDB first, then Foden and Silva and Gundogan. Pretty soon I realized I was always hoping City would win each weekend and by two years ago I really wanted City to win CL badly. This year I have watched 45 games (missed some cup matches) and have been absolutely mesmerized. I am now truly a City fan. How can you not love what you are seeing from this team?

Also, City are NOT the biggest spenders and I can’t stand people acting like United did not buy many of their past titles! This team is like nothing I have witnessed in terms of dominance and beauty on the pitch. I am a new City fan and am not embarrassed about it!
Welcome Boston JD. Loving your anti Rag retric(you'll fit in well on here :) Unfortunately, I've been watching City since I was a very young kid in the early 80s(I have mental scars that'll never heal) so let me teach you a few history lessons about our great old club. We once took 92'000 supporters to a 2nd division ground that could only fit in around 12000. We once played Blackburn in a promotion decider, City were all over the ground(about 65% of crowd) but the unlucky ones who couldn't get a ticket stood on a huge hill outside the ground. It was estimated somewhere in the region of 200'000 which is unbelievable right?. We once paid Blackburn 12 million pound for an injured player-who stayed injured. We once ran down time at the corner flag for the last few minutes, even though we needed a goal to stay up. We were a massive club in the 2nd division(MASSIVE) We had a ex Rag crowd favourite who managed us for 32 days..YES THIRTY TWO DAYS! Oh, and we once ran out of chips. Basically, you've missed the best bits pal :-/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.