How to boil rice so it isn't soggy

Me Mam cooks perfect rice EVERY time!

The posters that say wash the rice, are correct. It's starch that binds the rice, so eliminating that part is 90% of the battle. Heat control and length of time is the hardest aspect. If you drain the rice, you've either not put enough water in or too much! No more than a few mm above a pot of rice is fine. Boil, then simmer!!

You can season the rice (half an Oxo cube is beautiful!) with almost anything.

Finally, me Mam tends to put a rough teaspoon of oil in to keep the rice separated and un-burnt from the pan base.

Bada-fookin'-bing!

Bless ya, Ma!x

One is to Get a proper rice cooker

I cook rice almost every other day, and I've done this for years. when pouring water onto the rice, have the water level sit above the rice as much as the space between the lines on your finger.

It also depends on the rice. Short grains need less water, long grains and basmati needs more.

My wife me when I'm doing rice the best way to work out hiw much water you need is to do the following. To put rice in cooker then stick in my index finger so the tip is touching the rice then fill cooker with water until it reaches the first joint on the finger.

Works everytime even if I'm using the microwave rice steamer or the big rice cooker.

This. Didn't read the thread first but this is it.

Basmati rice, rinse well.

Put in a saucepan, cover with cold water to about an inch above the rice.

Sprinkle of salt, stir once.

Bring to the boil and turn off.

12/15 mins you have perfect rice,fluff up with a fork and serve.

Consistent and quick rice:

Place a mug of rice into bowl.

Use same mug and add x2 mugs of boiling water to the bowl of rice.

Microwave the bowl on max power for 12 minutes.

Dish up your perfect rice.

The above is a basic start but you may add to this and the beauty of microwaving the rice is that any cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon sticks, bay leaves come to the top of the rice and can be picked off the top before serving.

Microwaving rice is provides a consistent result and is one less thing to worry about when preparing a meal.

No need to thank me people!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.