How to bulk up?

I'm trying to burn fat and build some muscle at the same time - am I going to end up doing a little bit of both and not much of either? Should I concentrate on one at a time?

Also, how best to organise workouts?
Body splits or full body routines?

I've been off work this week so changed my gym habits and gone to a 5 day split for the weights + cardio. I wouldn't be able to do this when not in work, so that's not an option.
The body split I think has been good for developing muscle but I wouldn't normally be able to do that and do cardio too, which I 'need' to do to shed the fat.

117 M34 said:
I'm trying to burn fat and build some muscle at the same time - am I going to end up doing a little bit of both and not much of either? Should I concentrate on one at a time?

I've been off work this week so changed my gym habits and gone to a 5 day split for the weights + cardio. I wouldn't be able to do this when not in work, so that's not an option.
The body split I think has been good for developing muscle but I wouldn't normally be able to do that and do cardio too, which I 'need' to do to shed the fat.

Weight training is the best way to burn fat mate. Look at hitting your legs and back as these are your biggest muscle groups so look at deadlifts (full body workout) and squats.

Look into HIIT training to really push yourself through the fat burn barrier.

If I was you and training 5 days I'd have

Legs
Back
HIIT
Chest and shoulders (push workout)
Any usual cardio you like

Obviously doesn't have to be in that area but if your looking at 5 days then I'd target those areas.

Also look at your food intake. Plenty of protein/fish and vedge to help you continue burning fat through the night whilst building lean muscle.

Good luck mate hope this helps

chris85mcfc said:
117 M34 said:

Weight training is the best way to burn fat mate. Look at hitting your legs and back as these are your biggest muscle groups so look at deadlifts (full body workout) and squats.

Legs
Back
HIIT

Obviously doesn't have to be in that area but if your looking at 5 days then I'd target those areas.

Also look at your food intake. Plenty of protein/fish and vedge to help you continue burning fat through the night whilst building lean muscle.

Cheers.
I do 5 days at the gym + 1 day playing 5 a side.
1 day at the gym is a circuit session and also do spin for 1/2 of another session so that leaves me with 3 1/2 sessions at the gym to play with.

I used to make sure I did some cardio in each of my gym sessions followed by weights, focussing on compound moves. However, I'm not sure if by doing this I have enough rest as I would end up doing work on my legs/chest/back on 3 consecutive days.
I do like using complex moves (several exercises one after the other without putting the weight down) but that again means I may do the same exercise 2 days in a row - albeit in the complex move it would be using a much lighter weight. e.g. do squats on Monday and then as part of a complex on the Tuesday.

My diet is getting better but is still poor by most people's standards. I don't eat any salad, veg, fish at all.
I'm concentrating on getting more protein in and reducing carbs.

Richard said:
Anyone got any exercises to add 'width' to upperbody.

Having read quite abit on this, I know alot of it is to do with your frame, but is there anything you can do in the gym?

Depends what you mean by 'width' Richard, if you're talking 'back width' then Chris has given you a good list of back exercises associated with width for the back, if it's the shoulder area you are talking about then there are a number of things you can focus on, side laterals and hammering them (with good controlled form) is the way to go (you can also utilize wide-grip upright rowing or use dumbbells, high-pulls and over-head pressing) , easing off on any direct trap work will help, also keeping the waistline in check is important too, it all adds to the 'illusion' of width.

I'm sure you've read much is to do with genetics in both muscle and skeletal frame make-up with regards to this, and this is true, sadly we are governed to a great degree by it, but you just have to make the most of what you have mate.

Thanks for the tips both.

It's the shoulder width that I am trying to work on. Put on quite abit of muscle over the past year but am still fairly narrow.

Will hit the side laterals.

117 M34 said:
chris85mcfc said:
117 M34 said:

Legs
Back
HIIT

Cheers.
I do 5 days at the gym + 1 day playing 5 a side.
1 day at the gym is a circuit session and also do spin for 1/2 of another session so that leaves me with 3 1/2 sessions at the gym to play with.

I used to make sure I did some cardio in each of my gym sessions followed by weights, focussing on compound moves. However, I'm not sure if by doing this I have enough rest as I would end up doing work on my legs/chest/back on 3 consecutive days.
I do like using complex moves (several exercises one after the other without putting the weight down) but that again means I may do the same exercise 2 days in a row - albeit in the complex move it would be using a much lighter weight. e.g. do squats on Monday and then as part of a complex on the Tuesday.

My diet is getting better but is still poor by most people's standards. I don't eat any salad, veg, fish at all.
I'm concentrating on getting more protein in and reducing carbs.

Crikey that's a hectic schedule, fair play to you!
The good thing about 5 a side is its mainly short explosive sprints so that will help you burn fat.

Obviously with spin its a leg workout in itself, but if your saying it is only classed as half a session for you, id look at getting in the gym either before of after your class and just doing about 5 sets of deep squats, don't worry too much about the weight just try and get as much range as you can on your squat. Ideally id suggest doing this before your spin class if you can. That boxes your legs off in one day then.

Then id look at encorporating a chest and shoulders workout the following day as i imagine your legs would need to recover from the day before so deadlifting would be a bit of a nightmare!

Hopefully the day after chest and shoulders your legs should be feeling good again so get some deadlifts in and then look at bent over rows and pull ups.

So you've got your day of 5 a side, spin and deep squats, chest and shoulders and then your back day.

Which if im right in thinking leaves you with 1 and a half days where you can look at doing any cardio you enjoy doing, and that circuit session.

Any training week which covers the main muscle groups will see you in good stead mate, its just all about consistency.

Lastly, i dont want to sound like a preacher, but have a quick look at your diet. EAT MORE. Just make sure its good food ie vedge/protein/fish don't worry about salad.

Sounds like your putting loads of graft into the gym so don't let your diet bring you back to square one. Good luck mate

chris85mcfc said:
117 M34 said:

Legs
Back
HIIT

Is that really true?

Nervous Nedum said:
chris85mcfc said:
117 M34 said:

Legs
Back
HIIT

Is that really true?

It might sound a bit simplistic but in a word, yes it is true.

You use far more energy through weight training than from any other form of exercise.

Not only is it the best way to burn fat but its also the best way to strengthen your muscles and joints.

Nervous Nedum said:
chris85mcfc said:
117 M34 said:

Legs
Back
HIIT

Is that really true?

Burning fat - Doesn't happen. You cannot "burn" fat.

Does weight lifting help reduce fat? Yes it can. On the basis that you increase the number of calories that your body needs from performing explosive exercises. Explosive being the key, it has to be a huge physical effort to increase the number of calories your body needs. From this if you are then on a calorie deficit your will lose some body fat over time. The key is what you eat during the period of time (i.e. months) that you are weight lifting. If you eat shit, you will still be fat but with muscle under that fat.

Reducing body fat is fairly simple - Increase the number of calories you need (lift, run etc) to consume each day but consume slightly less than that amount.

itsnevereasy said:
Nervous Nedum said:
chris85mcfc said:

Legs
Back
HIIT

Is that really true?

Burning fat - Doesn't happen. You cannot "burn" fat.

Does weight lifting help reduce fat? Yes it can. On the basis that you increase the number of calories that your body needs from performing explosive exercises. Explosive being the key, it has to be a huge physical effort to increase the number of calories your body needs. From this if you are then on a calorie deficit your will lose some body fat over time. The key is what you eat during the period of time (i.e. months) that you are weight lifting. If you eat shit, you will still be fat but with muscle under that fat.

Reducing body fat is fairly simple - Increase the number of calories you need (lift, run etc) to consume each day but consume slightly less than that amount.

I think its just a saying mate, I dount anyone holds a match to their body in the hope of getting into shape.

But yea id agree with the rest of your post. Especially the eating shit part.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.