How to bulk up?

southstander93 said:
How have I only just found this thread? 117 pages of solid advice. I've been training for about a year now, pretty skinny lad but gained a bit of weight leading up to christmas, but due to family complications through the winter I lost motivation and a lot of the weight I'd put on. Just started doing Stronglifts a couple of weeks ago along with GOMAD and I've put on over a kg already. Already squatting more than I used to and on wednesday will be equalling my PB for bench. Honestly can't recommend that program enough if you want to make some strength gains and bulk up a bit. GOMAD I think has been the main catalyst for any gains I've made, an extra 2600kcals a day from it tops me off at around 5500kcals a day with about 400g of protein and carbs.

A word of warning, be very careful with gomad. If you're a real hard gainer it can tip the balance in your favour, but consuming that much whole milk a day really isn't good for most people, and for most others it will just make you fat. 5500kcals a day is excessive for pretty much anyone not riding in the tour de france.

adrianr said:
A word of warning, be very careful with gomad. If you're a real hard gainer it can tip the balance in your favour, but consuming that much whole milk a day really isn't good for most people, and for most others it will just make you fat. 5500kcals a day is excessive for pretty much anyone not riding in the tour de france.

Yeah I've heard similar things before mate, it's really just to kick start everything again, I completely lost my appetite so eating 4-5 meals a day was a real struggle, so it's more of a temporary thing for now then I'll gradually replace it with meals. I agree 5500 is a lot but I used to aim for 3500 and was pretty good at it, but never made very decent gains. It will obviously gradually decrease down towards 4000 eventually and probably lower, but for now it felt like the best thing to fit my metabolism and pretty active lifestyle.

southstander93 said:
adrianr said:

Yeah I've heard similar things before mate, it's really just to kick start everything again, I completely lost my appetite so eating 4-5 meals a day was a real struggle, so it's more of a temporary thing for now then I'll gradually replace it with meals. I agree 5500 is a lot but I used to aim for 3500 and was pretty good at it, but never made very decent gains. It will obviously gradually decrease down towards 4000 eventually and probably lower, but for now it felt like the best thing to fit my metabolism and pretty active lifestyle.

Fair doos pal :) Sounds like you're not viewing it as the bulk up magic bullet like some do, which is the most important thing.

Hi guys,
Looking for a bit of advice before I go and see a professional I think.

On both Wednesday and today when I did squats I was fine going down but as soon as I started lifting up there was a shooting pain up my quads.

Only the one leg though and it doesn't hurt when I do any other exercise.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Anyone got any exercises to add 'width' to upperbody.

Having read quite abit on this, I know alot of it is to do with your frame, but is there anything you can do in the gym?

Richard said:
Anyone got any exercises to add 'width' to upperbody.

Having read quite abit on this, I know alot of it is to do with your frame, but is there anything you can do in the gym?

Pull ups, wide grip if possible.
Wide grip rows.
Wide grip lat pulldowns.

Basically anything that requires you pulling but aim for as wider grip as possible.<br /><br />-- Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:09 pm --<br /><br />
CTID101 said:
Hi guys,

On both Wednesday and today when I did squats I was fine going down but as soon as I started lifting up there was a shooting pain up my quads.

Anyone got any thoughts?

Never had that myself but ill just recommend the advise that I would give myself if i was you.

Warm up properly ie couple of sets bodyweight squats
Drop the weight slightly
Have a good stretch after your workout

If neither of those help and your really struggling maybe look at getting it looked at by a physio.

CTID101 said:
Hi guys,

Anyone got any thoughts?
You probably just need to keep stretching out in between sets, sounds like a cramp in one of the stabilising muscles.

Cheers for the advice lads , over the weekend I spoke to someone who is a sports scholar at my uni so got a good understanding with regards to weightlifting and he said drop the weight slightly but do more reps to strengthen the muscle.

I have done that and no problem's at all. I am going to carry on with the slightly lower weight for a few sessions then move back up.

I will also start doing more stretches etc in between.

CTID101 said:
Cheers for the advice lads , over the weekend I spoke to someone who is a sports scholar at my uni so got a good understanding with regards to weightlifting and he said drop the weight slightly but do more reps to strengthen the muscle.

I have done that and no problem's at all. I am going to carry on with the slightly lower weight for a few sessions then move back up.

I will also start doing more stretches etc in between.

Yea hes given you good adive their mate.

More reps at a lesser weight will strengthen your muscles, try and focus on getting as much range as you can with your squat ie as low as possible, don't worry about your weight when looking to strengthen.

More range, more change. Motto i was always taught when training legs :)

Always a big stretch off after leg day as well mate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.