How to bulk up?

Blue>Red said:
didactic said:
Ok the way you are training you going to gain size and lose speed. Also you did not list your cardio so I am assuming as you are semi pro you must train fairly regularly?

That routine is not for an athlete I would suggest alternating by week so one week you do that routine. Next week you substitute the exercises using ones that do not require weights but only your body and a resistance band. Also when are you resting if you do all that during the week as well as play football.

Throw in posterior core training on back and leg day too. I think you may be over working yourself a tad but as I do not know your football training pattern I am unsure.

sorry i should have been more clear. Thats what I am doing at the moment whilst Im playing football for uni but my semi-pro football season has finished. I will be starting pre season again in July and wanted to gain a bit of size whilst not doing as much cardio. Yeah, there's no need for me to do cardio in the gym, I get enough done at training.

During the season I play for my club and also for uni, so usually looks like this:

Monday- training for uni
tuesday - training for club
wed - uni game
thur - strength and conditioning with uni or training with club
fri - nothing
sat - game for club
sun - nothing

Clearly I wouldnt throw in a 5 day split over that. In season I was doing 3 day all body workouts (monday-wednesday-friday). But for now Im not doing much and see it as an ideal time to add half a stone or so, as this will be very difficult in season. What do you reckon? What exercises do you suggest for posterior core work? Also forgot to mention I do abs 2-3 times a week in terms of core, usually in the evenings though.

Ok makes more sense now yes that is fine as long as your switch it every week like Harry said you are not training like the rest of us. You have select targets so for your routine should be tailored to achieving that. You will gain the weight very easily if you train right and eat right. I would do that for about a month then if you are not getting the gains you want we can help you switch it up.

For posterior core you will need to do seated rows (2x10-20) up to 30 or 40 as they get easier. Back extensions same sets and reps. Romanian deadlifts same sets and reps and my favorite good mornings same set and reps. You do not do all at the same time. Just pick one on your posterior core day and that should be fine. Start light and know your ability or comfort levels all these are very easy to result in an injury if done wrong and the last thing you want is a back injury.

Good luck.

Gym time hope everyone is progressing well.

2u5s1f8.jpg

I think I'm doing OK stuck to it never weighted myself just done it by clothes that fit or not.

Most of the clothes that didn't fit now do, which is a great sign. Makes me want to carry on

Hey guys, still working hard at the gym I hope!

Today unfortunately I've injured myself. Was doing a pull down exercise (not lat pull down, the one with the rope) and felt my neck tweak. Absolute agony. Been laying face down on my bed with a bag of peas on my neck but just wondered if anyone had any tips for treating a pulled muscle, and hopefully avoiding it ever happening again.

I realise that nothing will get rid of it except time (Probably 5 days to a week and I'l be ok again) but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips to ease the pain. Taken some ibuprofen, unfortunately haven't got anything stronger.

Other than that been progressing nicely at the gym. Doing compound exercises every session (Pull-ups/dips, squats, bench press/overhead press) with isolation exercises thrown in (Lat pulldown, seated row, preacher dumbbell/barbell curls, fly, shoulder press etc) - 3 day split really but atm going pretty much every other day as I'm now off uni for good.

I'm feeling good and ready to get back in the swing of things after my injury.

Gently does it with the first session on Monday but can't wait, bring it on!

Daveth said:
Hey guys, still working hard at the gym I hope!

Today unfortunately I've injured myself. Was doing a pull down exercise (not lat pull down, the one with the rope) and felt my neck tweak. Absolute agony. Been laying face down on my bed with a bag of peas on my neck but just wondered if anyone had any tips for treating a pulled muscle, and hopefully avoiding it ever happening again.

I realise that nothing will get rid of it except time (Probably 5 days to a week and I'l be ok again) but just wanted to know if anyone had any tips to ease the pain. Taken some ibuprofen, unfortunately haven't got anything stronger.

Other than that been progressing nicely at the gym. Doing compound exercises every session (Pull-ups/dips, squats, bench press/overhead press) with isolation exercises thrown in (Lat pulldown, seated row, preacher dumbbell/barbell curls, fly, shoulder press etc) - 3 day split really but atm going pretty much every other day as I'm now off uni for good.

Just rest it and the break could do you good as it allows the muscle to heal and grow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.