How to bulk up?

Daveth said:
Whats your stats on the big 3 Didactic?

Bench
Squat
Deadlift

My squats have improved so much doing them 3x a week! Only like 8 weeks to go until I go away.

Must.train.harder

Are you asking what I max out at? Or what I am doing comfortably? I have not maxed out in a long time simply because I am comfortable with my size and training to maintain it not to get much bigger.

Bench is overrated if doing it just for chest in my opinion and is good simply because it hits so many other muscle groups so I still do it both flat/incline once a week at around 140 - 180 kilos. (Not my max though).

Squats I focus on more than bench because glutes are one of the thickest muscles in the body so can handle the heavy weight. I start at 200 kgs and by my third set im around 240 (this is using 3x12) and thats is raw. I know I can max at much more but I do not want to as I am getting the results I want.

The same for dead lift even though just like with squats I know I can make much heavier lifts I choose not to. I usually try to go 40kilos more than I squat on my DLs. But remember my left arm has just healed so I am not trying to put too much pressure on it by going crazy heavy.I am doing this RAW no belt, no straps, no nada. Just a t shirt and my balls.

I am more concerned with my form than reaching crazy weights as I do not want to end up looking like a power lifter.<br /><br />-- Thu May 10, 2012 10:43 pm --<br /><br />
GStar said:
I'm sure i've seen the guy in the photos before...

Yea thats because I have posted many other pictures of my self on this forum. Or do you mean you have seen me IRL?

Why dont you post your pics maybe I have seen you some where.

Pigeonho said:
You know Diactic, next time the Bluemoon Grouch's give you some shit, just post the photo's above and the directions of where to meet for their beating.

;-)

Its not that serious hahaha no need to lose freedom over a few internet arguments.

What is best recommended for someone who probably falls into the 'skinny fat' catergory. I used to be quite toned untill I was out for a couple of months injured, I think there is still something there - but it needs finding again.

out of interest didactic, what in your opinion would be best workout to gain mass whilst the football season has stopped? Im a young centre half (20) looking to bulk a bit, i suppose like Kompany did when he got moved back, id like to improve definitely in my legs and arms. Ive posted before but got mixed responses from people, any help appreciated.

I've had a set back and pulled my Rectus Femoris..............i'm gutted!

This is my second week of missing training and it was going so well, just got to be patient now and then ease my way back in when I feel the time is right.

Blue>Red said:
out of interest didactic, what in your opinion would be best workout to gain mass whilst the football season has stopped? Im a young centre half (20) looking to bulk a bit, i suppose like Kompany did when he got moved back, id like to improve definitely in my legs and arms. Ive posted before but got mixed responses from people, any help appreciated.

Squat, squat, then squat again.

rhysmcfc said:
Blue>Red said:

as in on a 3 day all body, 4 day upper/lower split?

Blue>Red said:
rhysmcfc said:
Blue>Red said:

Sorry to butt in.

I'd split it if I was you. In my opinion full body training wouldn't give you the gains your looking for as you wouldn't be focusing all you energy on a specific muscle group, might work for some tho.

I currently do:-
Back / Biceps
Chest / Triceps
Legs
Shoulders / Core

In and out of the gym in 45 mins max, keep the workout intense and no more than 60/90secs rest between sets.

And eat lots!

Loads of great advice on here from the likes of FI, Didactic & Co so have a good read through the whole thread (if you have time).

itsnevereasy said:
Blue>Red said:
rhysmcfc said:

Sorry to butt in.

I'd split it if I was you. In my opinion full body training wouldn't give you the gains your looking for as you wouldn't be focusing all you energy on a specific muscle group, might work for some tho.

Back / Biceps
Chest / Triceps
Legs
Shoulders / Core

In and out of the gym in 45 mins max, keep the workout intense and no more than 60/90secs rest between sets.

And eat lots!

Loads of great advice on here from the likes of FI, Didactic & Co so have a good read through the whole thread (if you have time).

I have to split my chest and triceps work outs otherwise i cant lift my arms the next day

BoyBlue_1985 said:
itsnevereasy said:
Blue>Red said:

Sorry to butt in.

Back / Biceps
Chest / Triceps
Legs
Shoulders / Core

And eat lots!

I have to split my chest and triceps work outs otherwise i cant lift my arms the next day

I used to do that but then took up a new routine (above) and stuck with it and have made some good progress. For the first few weeks the following day my arms struggled but after a few weeks the doms became less.

From by basic and limited knowledge you need to work the muscle enough to create small rips in the muscle fibres, as the muscle fibres heal they become bigger and stronger but you need to make sure that you leave enought time for the muscle to repear it's self. Using that theory is why I do chest and triceps on the same day, as then the triceps get enough rest before being worked again.

But everyone is different and what works for one might not work another. My mate does a split over 6 days Mon - chest, Tue - back, Wed - legs, Thur - shoulders, Fri - biceps, Sat - triceps and Sunday as a rest, really short intense workouts it works for him as he is huge (he also eats like a horse) but for me I can only get to the gym 4 times a week at the min.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.