How to bulk up?

Are press ups a good way to start for a newbie before hitting the gym?

Is it possible to increase your arm size through pressups alone?

Johnsonontheleft said:

They are a decent way to start but you won't increase your arm size, they just get toned. To increase muscle size you need to create resistance as the building of muscles is created by micro muscle fibre tears. For every 1 micro tear 2 muscle fibres grow, hence the change in size over a period of time.

Johnsonontheleft said:

Press ups primarily target the chest, front shoulders and triceps. So You'd need to compliment them with other exercises to start the process, but you'd soon find them easy and like others say, you need more resistance than your bodyweight provides.

I eat my own snot but the guy who sits across from me at work keeps clocking me doing it.

didactic said:
goatastuta said:
I hate mithering the PT's in the gym,so i'll ask on here instead,(hopefully this isnt a stupid question),I've seen comments about heavier weights less reps and i know control and technique are most important,but,if say,im pressing 24kg dumbells,trying to do 5x12 reps.i might manage 12 on the 1st set,but the 5th set i'll only manage 4/5! should i use less weight and try to ensure i do the full 5x12,or keep going,or try to do less reps,or what? Obviously coz im only doing 4/5 on 5th set,im gettin knackered,so technique is prob suffering.(much as i try to keep it good). Also,should i put your answer to use with other lifting areas? ie. concentration curls etc.?

Firstly why are you doing 5x12 reps, I am baffled??. 5x5 sure, 3x12 for some muscles 2x12 but 5x12 unless its for calves or abs you are going to suffer from over training and fatigue.

A great technique is if you know you max out at 24kg do not start out on 24kg but the fact that you are able to do 12 reps easily of 24kg means it is not your max weight. Muscles grow when they tear and repair adding more muscle fibre during this process. You want to start on 24kg for 12 reps then move to 26kg for 12 reps and move up to either 28 /30 and do the final set. If you cannot finish it do not worry even if it means you do them in bursts of 4s. If you cannot finish because you are tired. Doesnt matter thats what you want. The fact that the weight is heavier than your comfort level will increase your muscle over time.

The reason you are having problems is because you are over training and dont stay on 24kg because its clear your muscle can handle that so why should it grow?. Its comfortable at 24kg, all that will happen is that you leave the gym tired but never grow.
now that you ask,i dont know why im doing 5x12! think its from watching stedheads doing it,and probably me thinking cane the reps out=get massive lol. cheers for reply though mate,didnt think about the overtraining aspect.nice one

goatastuta said:
now that you ask,i dont know why im doing 5x12! think its from watching stedheads doing it,and probably me thinking cane the reps out=get massive lol. cheers for reply though mate,didnt think about the overtraining aspect.nice one

Over training is death to muscles do not fall into the trap of thinking the more you do, the more you grow. Its all about technique and doing the right training. Stick to 3 different exercises per muscle group.

Im here to help anytime, enjoy it.

BibbyBlue85 said:
Johnsonontheleft said:

They are a decent way to start but you won't increase your arm size, they just get toned. To increase muscle size you need to create resistance as the building of muscles is created by micro muscle fibre tears. For every 1 micro tear 2 muscle fibres grow, hence the change in size over a period of time.

Not sure how acurate that is mate, as it would mean everybody could grow to an almost limitless size.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.