How to bulk up?

BoyBlue_1985 said:
Just need some help for the resident experts on here

decided to start bulking a bit and found this program, is it any good in terms of will it have results if I eat well with it

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _challenge</a>

Yes, yes it will.
5/3/1 is an excellent program, and adding a bit of isolation won't harm it imo.

Tempted to try it myself actually.

Dirty Harry said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

decided to start bulking a bit and found this program, is it any good in terms of will it have results if I eat well with it

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... _challenge</a>

Sound enough that BB, used similar to the 5.3.1 in the past myself (more of a 5.3.1.3.5). very good gains from it but I always did on the lower rep range stuff.

If you are confident in your technique then go for it mate. Also look into german volume training which is also really good. Try and encorporate different variations in your training, pushing, pulling, sprinting, rowing etc.

chris85mcfc said:
Dirty Harry said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Sound enough that BB, used similar to the 5.3.1 in the past myself (more of a 5.3.1.3.5). very good gains from it but I always did on the lower rep range stuff.

If you are confident in your technique then go for it mate. Also look into german volume training which is also really good. Try and encorporate different variations in your training, pushing, pulling, sprinting, rowing etc.
Don't forget Boxing..

chris85mcfc said:
Dirty Harry said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Im shite at deadlift which is obviously an issue. But im meeting up with a guy that does them pretty much everyday said he will get some issues ironed out with me

BoyBlue_1985 said:
chris85mcfc said:
Dirty Harry said:

Im shite at deadlift which is obviously an issue. But im meeting up with a guy that does them pretty much everyday said he will get some issues ironed out with me

Good lad. It's a great compound lift. I love deadlifting but it can take time to get your technique right. Best thing to do is start off light and just gradually add weight.

chris85mcfc said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
chris85mcfc said:

Good lad. It's a great compound lift. I love deadlifting but it can take time to get your technique right. Best thing to do is start off light and just gradually add weight.

Yep. My first deadlift was with a broomstick. Very little weight, but helped to start getting the technique right from the off.

quiet_riot said:
chris85mcfc said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:

Yep. My first deadlift was with a broomstick. Very little weight, but helped to start getting the technique right from the off.

Ah the old broomstick mate lol, remember my mates showing me up to fuck in front of a load of 'Hell's Angels' in a gym once with a broomstick, btw, when I first started out with BAWLA in the 70's, they had specially made plywood discs to get the correct height and balance for the bar, we didn't touch an iron weight over 5 kilos for almost 6 months until our technique was spot-on, superb grounding tbh, I have them to thank for nearly 35 years of injury free lifting so good on you QR.

I would class myself as slim (32" waiste and 5'10/11) however carry a little bit of excess fat around the belly area.

I want to trim the fat down a bit and also add some muscular shape to my upper body.

I eat sensibly and only drink at weekends. I'd say I have a decent diet but haven't adjusted it for training.

I currently do cardio and started doing some weights but not really sure what I need to be doing to achieve the above goals. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

How often do people train?

I have been told one body part a week for results, but I previously trained my chest/triceps and shoulders/biceps twice a week, plus once on legs/back and I was definitely seeing improvements in size and muscle.

You read that many different stories and get that many people's opinions that you become baffled as to what is best.

Salford_Blue said:
How often do people train?

I have been told one body part a week for results, but I previously trained my chest/triceps and shoulders/biceps twice a week, plus once on legs/back and I was definitely seeing improvements in size and muscle.

You read that many different stories and get that many people's opinions that you become baffled as to what is best.

I tend to train more push and pull rather than specific muscles.

Eg: On a pull day (no silly jokes)
Bent over row
Pull ups
Cable rows
Lat pulldown
Finish with a few sets of bicep curls

Basically this will work your upper back/shoulders as well as your biceps

Push day:

Bench press
Dips
French press (triceps)
Press ups

This will work your chest/triceps and dips are virtually the upper body version of a deadlift as they work all your upper body.

That's just an example off the top of my head. I try to hit as many muscles as I can in one session but that's just my preference. Providing you get good rest/sleep and eat well you won't suffer from burn out or over training.

Ultimately the best way to train is by enjoying what your doing. Research different training methods ie GVT/Hypertrophy/Strength training/HIIT and give them a whirl.

I appreciate this post might not answer the post that I've actually replied to but I got a bit carried away!! Hope this helps....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.