How to discipline a 2 and 1/2 year old...

My daughter's 2 next month although started the terrible two's earlier. Luckily the Mrs and I both sing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to discipline.

It's quite simple and they learn very fast - you just have to ignore bad behaviour and reward good behaviour. When ours has a tantrum we walk away - any intention you give to bad behaviour is giving them the attention they want. Don't over use the word no.

If she's throwing her food on the floor don't give her anymore or react to it.

This is pretty much the way to deal with it. The kid is two years old. You can't and shouldn't be trying to discipline such a tiny child.

Please ignore all the outdated advice about naughty steps etc. How awful to label a tiny child as 'naughty' - this approach has been shown to cause lasting psychological damage. And once you've done the damage, you won't be able to undo it.

I have a nearly 2 year-old and a 4 year-old. My advice is to forget all this draconian discipline nonsense and treat your child with all the positivity you can - love, respect, fun, shared experiences. If they're having tantrums, is it because they're not getting all the attention that they deserve and should be getting at that age?

I see my job as a parent as being to make my children happy.

This is pretty much the way to deal with it. The kid is two years old. You can't and shouldn't be trying to discipline such a tiny child.

Please ignore all the outdated advice about naughty steps etc. How awful to label a tiny child as 'naughty' - this approach has been shown to cause lasting psychological damage. And once you've done the damage, you won't be able to undo it.

I have a nearly 2 year-old and a 4 year-old. My advice is to forget all this draconian discipline nonsense and treat your child with all the positivity you can - love, respect, fun, shared experiences. If they're having tantrums, is it because they're not getting all the attention that they deserve and should be getting at that age?

Rod for your own back if you just let them do what they want

Gay

Be consistent so she learns 'rules' of what is expected and what constitutes positive behaviour. Use lots of praise and encourage her independence, let her 'help' do little things for herself. Boost her self-esteem and use simple explanation to support her understanding, eg 'use kind hands-not for hitting people because it hurts etc' Two of the greatest gifts you can give a child are love and self-belief. Never reward negative behaviour, give clear expectations consistently so she learns. Eg always eat sitting at a table, sit with her, show her how to use a knife and fork. If she throws a tantrum, move her somewhere safe until she calms down, then calmly talk about why it happened, 'eg you need to take turns, to share with your friends..' Most of all tell her and show her you love her and remember it is a stage of development all children go through. You will come through it, and be so proud of her. They are the best years, soon be a teenager with angst!! Good luck.

Ignore bad behaviour ,give one warning and if they carry on put them on the naughty step,if they keep getting up put them back without speaking and eventually they get the message,start now and it'll be easier going foward

This is exactly what you should do.

That said I've got a 4 year old lad who I'm struggling with so maybe I'm wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.