How's your mood after the RM game?

Might be an age thing and having suffered the indignity of losing to various lower level clubs , losing to Real Madrid doesn't feel too bad especially once it went to penalties (Ederson has a lot of qualities but saving penalties is definitely not one of them).

On the plus side, that's 1 fewer horrible round trips from s. wales to manchester to deal with mid week

I really felt before yesterday we'd have too much for them. However getting into the ground, something felt off, despite Kev missing his chance I still felt confident until a couple of mins into the 2nd half of ET. Then for some reason I knew inside me it wasn't going to happen

On the other side
1. Who knows what state the squad will be in on saturday, chelsea will be full of confidence they'll be playing a tired and dejected city
2. getting through last night would've given us probably our easiest chance for a few more seasons to claim it again and for that I'm gutted
3. whilst fair play to RM, they dug in and rode their luck, I take no solace from battering RM into behaving like a less effective Brentford

After getting home at 4:30 and eating far too much crap on the journey, today I feel dreadful

I want to get excited for my trip to wembley on saturday, but right now just can't
Thats excatly how i described them yesterday - like playing Brentford.

On the plus side, that's 1 fewer horrible round trips from s. wales to manchester to deal with mid week

I really felt before yesterday we'd have too much for them. However getting into the ground, something felt off, despite Kev missing his chance I still felt confident until a couple of mins into the 2nd half of ET. Then for some reason I knew inside me it wasn't going to happen

On the other side
1. Who knows what state the squad will be in on saturday, chelsea will be full of confidence they'll be playing a tired and dejected city
2. getting through last night would've given us probably our easiest chance for a few more seasons to claim it again and for that I'm gutted
3. whilst fair play to RM, they dug in and rode their luck, I take no solace from battering RM into behaving like a less effective Brentford

After getting home at 4:30 and eating far too much crap on the journey, today I feel dreadful

I want to get excited for my trip to wembley on saturday, but right now just can't
All reasonable points but there are counters:
1. Players will be tired but I think they will be doubly motivated to win (retain) the Cup. I think we will start strong and hopefully get ahead. We could become leggy in 2H, but Pep will need to make subs and trust our backup.

2. Not clear. We lost players this year so were not as good. If we have a good summer, we could be significantly better next year particularly at the offensive end. I think your comment is prob driven by Mbappe to RM, but we dont know how that will turn out. In theory Messi, Mbappe, Neymar together should have been the dream team, but it turned out as too much ego in a small space

3. Their ultra-defence strategy and the battering indicates they know we are man-for-man better than them. That will not change next season. Not saying we have an automatic right to win, but they have a fear for us that exists with no other team.

I thought overall we played well and never gave up. But I am still baffled by the first 12 mins when we were totally static with Ederson holding the ball for 15 secs at a clip. Especially given the way we blitzed them in that same period last year. .
I thought that was weird also but put it down to Madrid (cleverly) defending deep/parking the bus.

I said a long time before Istanbul that I would be happy to win this cup just once to get the monkey off our back so I'm not gonna change my mind now

I would be much more gutted to see us blow the league from the position we've somehow found ourselves in now

Losing in the CL doesn't bother me a quarter as much as losing one in the PL.

The PL is all that matters.

I generally agree with this viewpoint. I think we had to win the CL at some point and we did. But it is a cup competition, just with more games than the FA Cup and League Cup.

If we win these last six league games then we are in a league of our own.

I think what these two legs have proven, yet again, is that in the CL you get punished for a split second error of judgement (and Real's goal last night was pretty much that) and that you can huff and puff as much as you like (for 119 minutes and then some), and in fact be the better team, but you don't win the competition.
That just isn't going to happen in the PL. Teams will drop points, have defeats, here and there. But you've got to turn up and perform over most of the 38 matches, and if you do, you will be champions. Forty-two matches in the old First Division. The champion of the PL is always — but always — the best team that year.
The 18-19 season was easily the most exciting, and exhausting, season I have seen in getting on for sixty years of watching football. No CL campaign, or the European Cup before it, whether City were involved or not, is even in the same conversation as far as I'm concerned. People love the show biz of the CL though (especially in Europe, I've noticed), especially younger people, while we older ones look on sourly at all that.

I said a long time before Istanbul that I would be happy to win this cup just once to get the monkey off our back so I'm not gonna change my mind now

I would be much more gutted to see us blow the league from the position we've somehow found ourselves in now

It would be fairly devastating. And this hasn't even been a particularly good season, as far as our standards are concerned.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.