HS2 - Birmingham to Manchester scrapped.

£8.3 billion of the £36 billion is earmarked for filling in pot holes. Transformative indeed.

How the fuck can pot holes cost 8 THOUSAND million?

A last report between 2018 and 2021 from 51 councils said that 1.5m pot holes had been reported.

That’s £5000 a pot hole. So the one pot hole on my street will cost £5k to fill in? Fuck off.

Having had a day to think about this, how come Sunak has taken upon himself to announce the curtailment of a long term important national project at a party conference?
Surely this should have been thoroughly debated and voted on in Parliament?
If this is Tory party policy and to be included in their manifesto, fair enough, but let the people decide at the general election.

Having had a day to think about this, how come Sunak has taken upon himself to announce the curtailment of a long term important national project at a party conference?
If this is Tory party policy and to be included in their manifesto, fair enough, but let the people decide at the general election.
Indeed

No one wants a general election according to Rishi. He's running down the clock in the hope something turns up, it won't.

I think you’d have to be really naive to believe anywhere is going to actually see HS2 money.

They'll probably make a series of announcements and then cancel them 2 years later.
That's the intention but the crafty bustards won't be in power then and will call out Labour for shelving all the Tory initiatives.

On a personal level I am pleased with the cancellation. HS2 would speed up the journey from Manchester to London but living in Stockport I lose out. Any time saved would be lost as instead of getting a train to London locally I would have to travel into Manchester to get on it. Then Stockport loses revenue as at the present all trains through Stockport have to stop there directly and indirectly bringing in money.

There were a few old NIMBYs on the news last night, from an affluent are of Cheshire, claiming it was great news for the north.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.