HS2 - Cancel it now

Sorry but tunnels under Manchester are entirely practicable - it's just a matter of political will and cash. If we were London they would have been built 120 years ago.
Metrolink is not a waste, but it has its limitations. So does every form of transport.
Upgrade buses? You cannot polish a turd. Nor can I imagine buses running at 50 mph over the Bury-Altrincham line without truly massive investment, basically replacing every single bridge and tunnel at enormous expense. They would even then need to be "guided" buses. No one has yet invented a bus that can be run in multiple carrying hundreds of passengers. Nor one with anything like the acceleration and relative passenger comfort of a tram. Travel from Manchester to Whitefield or Bury on a tram, return by 135 bus. See which is more civilised and quicker.
120 years ago would have been the ideal time to build an underground line in the city centre - the same time as they were culverting the rivers, making buildings with 2 or 3 story basements and half a century before building a nuclear bunker under Piccadilly Gardens that goes on for about a mile with 2 exit tunnels.

My local station, Cheshunt has had no service to Liverpool street for 6 weekends in a row due to planned maintenance. Despite this there are still daily issues with faults and cancellations. Why not fix these 1st instead of spending a gross amount of money just to cut 20 minutes of a journey that in mostly likely will be delayed somehow anyhow

HS1 was apparently well on time, and within budget. I can't help wondering the out-of-control budget on HS2 has a lot to do with inflated compensation on compulsory purchases. I wonder what the criteria are for controlling that and how it's negotiated. Because can the costing on materials and workforce alone be that far out of whack?
To be honest, I've got no strong opinion on either way, not being resident in the UK, and I'm sure that there's a lot that I don't understand about the complexities of this dossier. I'm just curious about the debate within the UK, and what the groundswell of support for/opposition to this project is.
FWIW, by way of (inevitably limited) comparison: the extension of the TGV line down from Lyon to Marseille cost 5.6 billion euros (the SNFC in its communiqués says 3.8, but that's a spin, which doesn't take account of the full cost of constructing the new stations, the addition of the new rolling stock, and a number of other factors, apparently). The distance is 315 kms, give or take a few (the distance from London to Birmingham is 190 kms, more or less). Nobody, I believe, would now say that that was a wasted project. But France is a much bigger country than England, in surface area (even adding Scotland, Wales and N.I. doesn't bring the UK close) and that obviously made it easier to get done (although there was of course local resistance),and it's simply much emptier. I'm constantly struck by that whenever I drive in the UK. There are people everywhere on the roads, 24/7. That said, there were some stunning bridges and tunnels to get built, because of the terrain, so there were considerable engineering problems to deal with. In my experience, the trains are constantly full or close to, especially in summer, where half of northern Europe heads to southern Europe for the sun. And not only in cars and planes.
Insofar as I can judge, the general feeling in France over the past 40 years or so is that the TGV network has been a resounding success. Paris-Lyon was the first, 1981. Everybody knew that if it wasn't going to be trains, then it was going to be cars. And that meant new motorways (which have, in some cases, been built anyway), and all that that implies. People now want to be able to move around, all the time.
Personally, I love taking them, but then I just like travelling by trains. I've also taken them in Spain and I think they're great.
However, one clear effect of the TGV Méditerranée construction, joining Marseille and Montpellier to Paris (and indeed beyond, to Lille, Amsterdam and London) by relatively swift and easy means, was to bump up house prices very significantly in both southern cities. I noticed it immediately, and it put property out of my range, just before I could buy. Suddenly, it became relatively easy for Parisians to buy a little flat/house in the sun and pop down for weekends. Don't suppose, somehow, that that will be a factor for Londoners as far as Manchester is concerned (!). Still less, Birmingham. But be sure of it, HS2, if it ever arrives, will affect property values, because suddenly commuting from Birmingham on a daily basis will become easily envisageable (some people already do it, I'm told), and even from Manchester, although that would be a stretch.

I think it would be money better spent on a motorway from Manchester to Sheffield.
Extend the M67 and connect it to the M1 just outside Sheffield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.