Hugo Viana to be new Director of Football (Official Announcement p17)

I read an interesting article about being a sporting director at an elite club and apparently talent ID isn’t at the top of the list of what you need.

At a club like city the scouting network is so huge, all the scouts will be reporting and advising the sporting directors, makes sense really. I don’t think Txiki is watching hours of tape. He makes decisions based on advice from people that do. He’s a busy man

Far more important is negotiation skills, fostering relationships, protecting the clubs style of football and creating an environment in which the team thrives.

It is amusing that people are judging Viana as if he is a scout.

Third paragraph....spot on

The most interesting part about our new sporting director, is what sporting fans have been saying online about him going to the lower leagues to pick talent. Finding hidden gems. Might see us look at the championship for players. Apparently he has an incredible eye for talent
But, but, but, I thought we only bought mega-expensive players.

The most interesting part about our new sporting director, is what sporting fans have been saying online about him going to the lower leagues to pick talent. Finding hidden gems. Might see us look at the championship for players. Apparently he has an incredible eye for talent
Sounds well and good, but just imagine the moaning while it happens

I read an interesting article about being a sporting director at an elite club and apparently talent ID isn’t at the top of the list of what you need.

At a club like city the scouting network is so huge, all the scouts will be reporting and advising the sporting directors, makes sense really. I don’t think Txiki is watching hours of tape. He makes decisions based on advice from people that do. He’s a busy man

Far more important is negotiation skills, fostering relationships, protecting the clubs style of football and creating an environment in which the team thrives.

Are the points in the third paragraph his main skills ?

Apparently at Newcastle he was always playing Daniel O’Donnell on the coach, hope this is not a sign of his character when negotiating deals for us lol

Whilst he isn't a scout, to suggest that the DoF role doesn't include any of it at all is also wrong.

He's the head of the entire football department and the transfer committee. Part of that often means personally looking at players proposed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.