Hurling on Sky

I attended quite a number of Hurling matches in Tipperary when I used to go over every year to Killenaule in County Tipperary and Tralee. Crikey I've driven some miles and seen some fantastic games between Tipp v Cork and Tipp v Waterford home and away, even been to Croke Park for two finals, I think one was when Tipp played Kilkenny or was it Limerick. Many, many years ago probably before some of you were born.

Loved my summers over there with the kids. Happy long ago days. :-) :-)
As kids growing up, we spent every summer holiday in Ireland. Usually in Bray

As kids growing up, we spent every summer holiday in Ireland. Usually in Bray
I took my kids to my friend's home in Killenaule, still marvel at how she fitted me and 4 kids in!! She was the housekeeper at Coolmore Stud before all the restrictions and I used to drive in to pick her up no bother. Nowadays I'd need a pass and security clearance I bet.
My kids loved it as did I.

Not sure if it was De Barras or Caseys to be honest. Probably Caseys because De Barras is a folk bar and they had a folk band on from memory.

We liked Fiddlers Green best and The Brewery Bar had a good sun trap garden.

Stayed in An Sugan on Wolfe Tone Street.

Really nice town with significant history.
Ah you went to a few good spots then. De Barra's, while it says it's a folk club, has all sorts of music there ranging from traditional (usually Monday night in the front bar) to rock and roll. It's actually quite a famous venue and has a lot of big acts playing there. An Teach Beag (The Little House) is the place for consistent trad though. It's part of O' Donovan's Hotel right in the centre.

My favourite place however is Shanleys on Connolly Street. The original music bar in Clonakilty. In fact, they are celebrating their 120th anniversary the first weekend in August and I will be home for it. I just noticed today that they put my name on the poster along with a host of musicians so I guess I kind of have to go now...;) SHould be epic and I can't wait.

Clon is a great town though. As you say, it has quite the history but it is also a very progressive town that has come up with so many great forward-thinking ideas. The first town to do Fair Trade for example. And every June, they do a street carnival and take all the traffic out of the main street and put long tables down the middle of the road and various food and drink trucks to serve the people. Open to all. Fantastic event. And a couple of weeks ago, they had an old-time fair and vintage vehicle rally. I miss it it and maybe will retire there in a few years.

Sorry for the long post. Looks like I am writing an ad for the town...;)

By the way @One Fan Clapping, I hope you're not expecting the football to be played at the same ferocious pace as the hurling. It will seem pedestrian in comparison. Hurling is seen by many as the fastest field sport in the world.

And Galway will be manic next Sunday, if they beat Armagh. AND the Galway races to follow, starting the day after!

As I’m of Irish descent, (Mum from Bray, Dads parents both Dubliners). I like the GAA. Yesterday’s game on BBC was fantastic. Looking forward to the GAA version of football next week.

UPPA NORDIES!!!!

Ah you went to a few good spots then. De Barra's, while it says it's a folk club, has all sorts of music there ranging from traditional (usually Monday night in the front bar) to rock and roll. It's actually quite a famous venue and has a lot of big acts playing there. An Teach Beag (The Little House) is the place for consistent trad though. It's part of O' Donovan's Hotel right in the centre.

My favourite place however is Shanleys on Connolly Street. The original music bar in Clonakilty. In fact, they are celebrating their 120th anniversary the first weekend in August and I will be home for it. I just noticed today that they put my name on the poster along with a host of musicians so I guess I kind of have to go now...;) SHould be epic and I can't wait.

Clon is a great town though. As you say, it has quite the history but it is also a very progressive town that has come up with so many great forward-thinking ideas. The first town to do Fair Trade for example. And every June, they do a street carnival and take all the traffic out of the main street and put long tables down the middle of the road and various food and drink trucks to serve the people. Open to all. Fantastic event. And a couple of weeks ago, they had an old-time fair and vintage vehicle rally. I miss it it and maybe will retire there in a few years.

Sorry for the long post. Looks like I am writing an ad for the town...;)
No need to apologise mate, it’s a fabulous post. Wish I’d known before.

We only stayed two nights so didn’t get to every bar and didn’t go in any on Connolly Street.

Hope you enjoy the anniversary night and maybe see you next time if you end up retiring there.

It’s cool town for sure. The food festival in June sounds up our street!

We were more or less told the same by the Christian Brother in charge of weekly PE.
Of course he told us nothing about protecting yourself.
Nearly had my thumb taken off by the other guys hurley sliding up mine when I went in to block.

We never played much hurling after our year was banned from competition until we left school, after a mass brawl against our local rival school.
Back then very few wore helmets in senior games
I think we only wore them in matches but not training as kids

Sunday's football final won't be as exciting, but will still be an intriguing game with a fantastic atmosphere.
Football has turned very tactical and negative and nowhere near as fast and free flowing as the hurling.

I still very much enjoyed the semi finals, was down at the Armagh Kerry game and it was a great match and day out.
But the norm is that the majority of games are nothing to write home about these days.

Its impossible to turn hurling negative or stop teams scoring I suppose when most players these days can score from anywhere beyond 40-50 metres from their own goal.

Sunday's football final won't be as exciting, but will still be an intriguing game with a fantastic atmosphere.
Football has turned very tactical and negative and nowhere near as fast and free flowing as the hurling.

I still very much enjoyed the semi finals, was down at the Armagh Kerry game and it was a great match and day out.
But the norm is that the majority of games are nothing to write home about these days.

Its impossible to turn hurling negative or stop teams scoring I suppose when most players these days can score from anywhere beyond 40-50 metres from their own goal.
Pep has also ruined gaelic fooball. All tiki taki with goalkeepers coming out of goal for build up. :-)

Always end up watching the whole game if I ever catch it whilst channel hopping. Brilliant sport to watch, ideally I'd follow it more closely but there's only so much time you can dedicate to watching sport and City and the horses take a lot of it!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.