Hurricane Milton

@Mad Eyed Screamer How are things going?

Hope the damage to your place was minimal!
Yes tried to send a picture yesterday but it wouldn't load.
My daughter went today and sent me these pics and a few videos.
A few panels from the car port went for a flight as some.of the roof on the front screened porch.
Fortunately the house itself was fine. Not a drop of rain inside and no damage anywhere on the outside. So whilst it wasn't ideal what happened it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
Still no power yet.
IMG-20241010-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20241010-WA0023.jpg

A few panels from the car port went for a flight as some.of the roof on the front screened porch.
Fortunately the house itself was fine. Not a drop of rain inside and no damage anywhere on the outside. So whilst it wasn't ideal what happened it could have been a hell of a lot worse.
Still no power yet.
View attachment 134657
View attachment 134658
I am sorry it was damaged at all but am very glad it was not worse. No water inside is absolutely huge! As you said, all things being equal, this is about as “good” as it gets when it comes to a hurricane of this strength.

When are you set to go back down?

Judging the reaction, I don’t feel that some really understand the impossible challenge that is managing a situation like this. Both as a meteorologist and as a civil servant.

As my old Lagrangian Dynamics professor used to say “a weather forecast 3 days into the future is a guess with extra steps, 2 days it’s likely wrong, 1 day it’s likely right, 0 days and you can look out of your window.” The situation goes from completely indiscernible chaos to a game of statistics in a very short space of time.

You see a hurricane like this forming three days out, the forecasts will get more certain as time passes, but you don’t have time. There are millions of people whose lives depend on you weighing the odds and giving them advice as soon as is practicable. If you delay, people will die. And every hour you wait matters.

Anybody who doesn’t understand the weight of that responsibility can only have a near sociopathic lack of empathy or they simply don’t understand the inherent uncertainty involved. The people asking folks to evacuate are human beings who quite rightly didn’t want to wake up tomorrow being responsible for the deaths of hundreds of people because of their inaction.

Can't the yanks just shoot some nuclear missiles into the eye of the storm?

He has fitted a lot into his career , fair play to him . I will be glued to him about a week out of the election and when the result is in
I like his NYE show where he gradually gets more and more pissed and less professional. His team know when he's shit faced so they'll switch coverage to another anchor in another state.

Still no power yet.
View attachment 134657
View attachment 134658
At least your car valeter has been round to sort the car, but your gardener seems a bit tardy...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.