Hyde Road Stadium

Stumbled across this image from 1906/1907. Is actually a Liverpool website but has some great reports/articles on Hyde Road and City

Dead interesting. Some dippers who think we were invented in Abu Dhabi would do well to take a look at those articles.
That first piece from the Yorkshire Evening Post: don't know if that's supposed to be an artist's representation of the ground, but by God it looks like a place that the wind would whistle through on a freezing Mancunian Saturday afternoon in January.

Here you go…. This is one I took and then used in my first book published in 1989. I took it from a similar angle to the earlier photo above specifically so I could do a comparison. I was surprised that the pedestrian crossing was still there (and it still is now - you can still see some of the original bricks and stones if you wander the site).

Bugger! I’m having problems attaching the image! Watch this space.
Used to cross there every night from work.

Stumbled across this image from 1906/1907. Is actually a Liverpool website but has some great reports/articles on Hyde Road and City

Wow! The picture in the top link looks Ike straight out of the King Of The Kippax drawings of grounds. Amazing detail and the Boiler Works is clearly behind the boys stand.

Very interesting in the 2nd link - from 1914 - where it states City had bought a plot of land for a new ground. This was 6 years before the fire which prompted the urgent need to search for a new site.
I wonder what happened to the land bought in 1914?

I've always wondered about that station. Never seen a soul there, and it has always looked distinctly decommissioned.
As for the shipping containers, I must have looked at them a thousand times without realising what had been there. Particularly fascinated by all the ones that obviously come from China. That tells its own story about how it has now become the workshop of the world.
I had always assumed it was a disued station but apparently not!

Ardwick railway station in Ardwick, Manchester, England, is about one mile (1.5 km) south-east of Manchester Piccadilly, in an industrial area of east Manchester. Plans to close the station permanently were scrapped in 2006 due to increasing activity in the area. The station has just one train in each direction calling on Monday to Friday in the winter 2019–20 timetable. These trains have additionally called at the station on Saturdays from May 2018.

Love the way that football fans never change - Hyde Road is a dismal hole and City are rubbish which probably means Liverpool will lose to them! How often we have thought much the same.

the drawing is great - shows the way it was a piecemeal collection of stands squeezed in wherever they can. No wonder they are exploring a new ground in a variety of places where they have space to build a state of the art modern stadium - it wasn't going to happen at Hyde Road

The drawing doesn't highlight the roof on the picture - unless it is on the stand behind the artists view point (or it was replaced)

View attachment 73459View attachment 73460
The top image is from c.1907 and the multispan roofs were erected in 1910 on 3 sides of the ground. City then boasted Hyde Rd had covered accommodation for 35,000 in a 40,000 stadium. New Old Trafford had cover for about 10,000 at that time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.