Hyde Road Stadium

Right I have been down today as I couldn’t go after the match due to time..
However in my view it looks like they have demolished the buildings after the viaduct and are planning on do work in that area.
Photos enclosed with this info which is quite sad really.

2eab8311a634786a5f91c33d3b0a09f7.jpg

81a00b148ba51fa10adbf1d4456d9fbd.jpg

f806f42a343a20502130b15f8b95dc87.jpg
Thanks for doing that and posting.
I do hope the setts and tramlines can be kept at the entrance as the sole reminder of the sites past

Hope they put a plaque or something. "Birthplace of Manchester City FC" would be nice.
The original article in the MEN said they would be incorporating the old stadium into the housing development in a similar way they did at Maine Road with Blue Moon Way etc
Be great if it is possible to determine exactly where the centre spot was and have a little bit of greenery there, adjacent to Skid Patch Cul-de-Sac

Learnt a new word — sett. Never come across it before.

I see that it also means a badger's burrow. Clearly not what's meant here…
Wonder where that word comes from, to have two such different meanings.

Last edited:
When I come over on 26th I shall mosey down there and take some photos (with my brilliant Panasonic Lumix, which makes even an idiot like me look like a photographer) of the general area. Much better than any mobile can take.
That's rather sad, isn't it, seeing that corrugated wall up and basically an anonymous clearing behind it? I really do hope the new housing estate does recognise in some way what was there, even if it's only a centre circle plaque (the centre circle would actually be impossible to locate, in fact).
As I said in my OP, it's unbelievable how history just gets wiped away in the name of progress.

When I come over on 26th I shall mosey down there and take some photos (with my brilliant Panasonic Lumix, which makes even an idiot like me look like a photographer) of the general area. Much better than any mobile can take.
That's rather sad, isn't it, seeing that corrugated wall up and basically an anonymous clearing behind it? I really do hope the new housing estate does recognise in some way what was there, even if it's only a centre circle plaque (the centre circle would actually be impossible to locate, in fact).
As I said in my OP, it's unbelievable how history just gets wiped away in the name of progress.
Yes was disappointed to see the entrance / exit island taken down, used to love driving in and out of that
Olympic-Freight.jpg

A City fan has posted this on Facebook

Billy Meredith testimonial game. Hyde Road stadium, 1912.
My great-grandad was on the board of Manchester City at the time and was involved in procuring Maine Road as their next ground, another lost stadium.
These men are the dignitaries of Man City and Man United.
My great-grandad is on the middle row, third from the right. I’ve never seen this photograph published anywhere, this is from the original print in the family.
If anyone has any more information about it, please share.
Thank you.
FB_IMG_1681059400849.jpg

A City fan called John Jones has posted this on Facebook

Billy Meredith testimonial game. Hyde Road stadium, 1912.
My great-grandad was on the board of Manchester City at the time and was involved in procuring Maine Road as their next ground, another lost stadium.
These men are the dignitaries of Man City and Man United.
My great-grandad is on the middle row, third from the right. I’ve never seen this photograph published anywhere, this is from the original print in the family.
If anyone has any more information about it, please share.
Thank you.
View attachment 74527
That looks like old toilet

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.