Hyde Road Stadium

Yes I've just done a quick search.
He had a testimonial at Maine Road in 1925, and then came across this ticket for his benefit game as mentioned, in 1912 and yes its at the Swamp.
It's strange as it seems to be a regular league game rather than a specially arranged game.
View attachment 74570
Yes - the photo is definitely OT and the testimonial was a regular league game. Back then testimonials were often ordinary league games and the player involved would not only get the profits but also money collected on the day. In my first book (From Maine Men To Banana Citizens) I included a newspaper drawing of officials carrying around a blanket at a player’s testimonial for fans to throw coins on to. That would’ve come in handy at Boundary Park and Notts County in the 80s when City fans were lobbing coins at stewards etc. They could’ve raised a few quid!

Maybe something Gary James can shed more light on, but just been reading an article that suggests that the IRA could have been responsible for torching the stand at Hyde Road!

What an amazing thread, literally just been reading this rather than watching the snooker semi!

I always thought the Hyde Road stadium was near to where Gorton Railway station is now, I'm not really blessed with a sense of direction!

What's even more embarrassing is that for over 20 years I've been commuting straight down Gorton Lane which turns onto Hyde Road via Bennett Street! DOH.

Yeah that freight place has been flattened and the sheeting is up, I thought there were cobbles around there....

Anyway a question to you folks who've added so much to this thread, the boys'/kids stand on the corner bisected from the pitch.....by a train track!!!!!!!!

Wtaf! Did the trains stop whilst games were going on? Or was it tough shit for those in that stand if a train was due during a match?! I know the runway at Gibraltar airport has a main road running across it and signals to stop traffic when in use, but a train across the corner of a football stadium pitch, is just bonkers!!

What an amazing thread, literally just been reading this rather than watching the snooker semi!

I always thought the Hyde Road stadium was near to where Gorton Railway station is now, I'm not really blessed with a sense of direction!

What's even more embarrassing is that for over 20 years I've been commuting straight down Gorton Lane which turns onto Hyde Road via Bennett Street! DOH.

Yeah that freight place has been flattened and the sheeting is up, I thought there were cobbles around there....

Anyway a question to you folks who've added so much to this thread, the boys'/kids stand on the corner bisected from the pitch.....by a train track!!!!!!!!

Wtaf! Did the trains stop whilst games were going on? Or was it tough shit for those in that stand if a train was due during a match?! I know the runway at Gibraltar airport has a main road running across it and signals to stop traffic when in use, but a train across the corner of a football stadium pitch, is just bonkers!!
That’s nothing, the rags have had cart horses running right across theirs for years.

The original metal gates from Hyde Rd went to Belle Vue speedway and we’re used on the angled entrance to the stadium adjacent to Hyde Rd and the ginnel running down the side.

Where are they now ??

A City fan has posted this on Facebook

Billy Meredith testimonial game. Hyde Road stadium, 1912.
My great-grandad was on the board of Manchester City at the time and was involved in procuring Maine Road as their next ground, another lost stadium.
These men are the dignitaries of Man City and Man United.
My great-grandad is on the middle row, third from the right. I’ve never seen this photograph published anywhere, this is from the original print in the family.
If anyone has any more information about it, please share.
Thank you.
View attachment 74527
Interesting photo. Seems like the United kit Meredith is wearing has a badge on it. Wonder what it was?

Interesting photo. Seems like the United kit Meredith is wearing has a badge on it. Wonder what it was?

?
Where do you see a badge?

Edit: ok got it. But on the colourised version above posted by @Mad Eyed Screamer the badge has apparently been airbrushed out.

Striking, isn't it, how when you see photos from the time which mix players and, say, board members, the class distinction comes out starkly and clearly (and that is, I think, deliberate). Footballers were basically just workers out of the mills and mines who'd got lucky and were clever with their feet. They were basically indentured servants.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.