Hyde Road Stadium

Ah, just assumed the “Man” part had been cut off. Why were a Chester company brewing in Manchester, incidentally?
It wasn’t a Chester company. It was a Manchester company, originally called by the surnames if it’s owners; Collins and Chesters.

Crown and Anchor in Town has Chesters Ales on it:
IMG_2768.jpeg

Best thread on the Bluemoon Forum page in ages!
I would love the club to commission somebody to recreate a 3d model of Hyde Road and put it on display. Either that or do it on the computer and even recreate some old matches using cgi technology or A1 or whatever it’s called. Do the same for Maine Road too. Our history is brilliant and bringing it back to life in this manner is a great way for everyone to engage with it.
Like the opening post in this thread also said; I don’t think the current employees of City are really bothered about our history.

I’ve emailed them a number of times asking for more of our history to be pushed and barely anything ever is. I hope the museum that’s going to be built does our history some justice, finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes - the photo is definitely OT and the testimonial was a regular league game. Back then testimonials were often ordinary league games and the player involved would not only get the profits but also money collected on the day. In my first book (From Maine Men To Banana Citizens) I included a newspaper drawing of officials carrying around a blanket at a player’s testimonial for fans to throw coins on to. That would’ve come in handy at Boundary Park and Notts County in the 80s when City fans were lobbing coins at stewards etc. They could’ve raised a few quid!
Bloody hell that brings back memories I can't believe you wrote that book.
I used to read it every day.
Thanks blue

I have this picture that’s been colour enhanced of the 1903-04 City Hyde Road team - who very nearly went on to win the First Division and FA Cup double (although the FA Cup win and celebrations probably stopped us winning the league a few days later as we lost to Everton where a win could have won us the title as well) that season - outside the Grand Hotel.

IMG_2770.jpeg

I don’t think that Grand Hotel is the city centre Grand Hotel on Aytoun Street. Looks more like a pub.

I have this picture that’s been colour enhanced of the 1903-04 City Hyde Road team - who very nearly went on to win the First Division and FA Cup double (although the FA Cup win and celebrations probably stopped us winning the league a few days later as we lost to Everton where a win could have won us the title as well) that season - outside the Grand Hotel.

View attachment 77107

I don’t think that Grand Hotel is the city centre Grand Hotel on Aytoun Street. Looks more like a pub.
What a fabulous picture! I too have the 1904 team in my downstairs loo but sadly not colourised. Baffles me why nobody at City has got this sorted out. We should be colourising all sorts of classic pics.

Attachments

• A22CBE2B-9CDE-4A3E-B548-8C796B7F984E.jpeg
    A22CBE2B-9CDE-4A3E-B548-8C796B7F984E.jpeg
    76.7 KB · Views: 34
Maybe something Gary James can shed more light on, but just been reading an article that suggests that the IRA could have been responsible for torching the stand at Hyde Road!
It’s an interesting angle but not so certain myself. There was a plot connected with a game at Old Trafford by the Hyde Rd fire was nothing more than a stray cigarette in an old wooden stand (According to reports and people like Eric Alexander who’s grandad was a key director at this time). We saw how quickly the main stand at Bradford went up so the cig idea seems genuine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.