Hyde Road Stadium

Manchester City council have a Commemorative plaques schemes Manchester City FC Clowes Street is listed

Unfortunately it is a red one

I have this picture that’s been colour enhanced of the 1903-04 City Hyde Road team - who very nearly went on to win the First Division and FA Cup double (although the FA Cup win and celebrations probably stopped us winning the league a few days later as we lost to Everton where a win could have won us the title as well) that season - outside the Grand Hotel.

View attachment 77107

I don’t think that Grand Hotel is the city centre Grand Hotel on Aytoun Street. Looks more like a pub.
At the risk of unleashing a torch wielding mob, those dark blue socks look brilliant with the sky blue shirts! The shorts are the complete antithesis of the short shorts of the 80s, thankfully.

As you approach Piccadilly, the containers / former ground are on the right
It depends on what line you are on.

The site is in the fork between the Stockport and London Euston line and that which leads to Hadfield, Marple, and Sheffield via Marple. So they could be on your left or on your right.

The site is in the fork between the Stockport and London Euston line and that which leads to Hadfield, Marple, and Sheffield via Marple. So they could be on your left or on your right.
Yes thanks - should have been more specific, I was talking about being on the right coming in via Stockport or the airport

The site on the left of the train heading south out of picadilly on the main line to Stockport.

When I panned the camera on the bridge, 10/12 seconds in you can see how close to the new ground it is.

Nothing in the site now suggests there is anything left of the original stands. Not that clear from the vid but I go past a few times a week on the train.

Last edited:
The site on the left of the train heading south out of picadilly on the main line to Stockport.

When I panned the camera on the bridge, 10/12 seconds in you can see how close to the new ground it is.

Nothing in the site now suggests there is anything left of the original stands. Not that clear from the vid but I go past a few times a week on the train.

Thanks for that.
There hasn't been anything left at all from the ground for decades.

Thanks for that.
There hasn't been anything left at all from the ground for decades.
Sacred ground.

Would love to get into the site and have a look about. You can see old foundations but they align with the rail line. The ground was at a quirky angle so anything lining up at 45 to everything else would probably be part of an old stand.

Sacred ground.

Would love to get into the site and have a look about. You can see old foundations but they align with the rail line. The ground was at a quirky angle so anything lining up at 45 to everything else would probably be part of an old stand.

Makes me think of those native American burial grounds that were ridden over roughshod by the coming of the white man and all his “civilisation”…

At the risk of unleashing a torch wielding mob, those dark blue socks look brilliant with the sky blue shirts! The shorts are the complete antithesis of the short shorts of the 80s, thankfully.

Am I imagining this, or weren't some of the very early games in the burgeoning football league, i.e. in the 1860s and 70s, played wearing caps? Or was that just for team photos?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.