Hyde Road Stadium

Oh keepers wore caps in the 60s and 70s of the twentieth century. That I'm sure of — Bonetti did, for one. Come to think of it, Cech wore a sort of scrum cap for years.
I've always wondered whether that wasn't a sort of legend about Meredith.
My late Grandad, who when he was young lived near the Gorton Brook pub. He watched City at Hyde Rd and as a child remember him telling me about Meredith chewing on a toothpick when playing.Vaguely remember something about him trying to give up smoking.

I have this picture that’s been colour enhanced of the 1903-04 City Hyde Road team - who very nearly went on to win the First Division and FA Cup double (although the FA Cup win and celebrations probably stopped us winning the league a few days later as we lost to Everton where a win could have won us the title as well) that season - outside the Grand Hotel.

View attachment 77107

I don’t think that Grand Hotel is the city centre Grand Hotel on Aytoun Street. Looks more like a pub.
Gorgeous photo. I hope one day that City can look to re-create these grand photos with a modern day squad.

The only thing I’d imagine might still be there are the odd discarded coins or beer bottles from matches back then that might have been dug up.

Time Team investigation? Give enough Blues a place to stand and a few big enough levers, and we can move the world. Assuming permission and access isn't an issue.

We wore navy socks from 1894-1951. And also wore navy socks from 1987-1993, 1997-2003 and in 2018-19.

We have worn navy socks by far the most of any sock colour in our history… 70 years with navy socks, compared to 44 years with sky socks, 8 years with white socks, 2 years with royal blue with red turnovers and 1 year with black. That combo that a lot of people think is classic City - Sky socks with maroon turnovers - we’ve only had for 7 years in our history.
Navy sock use is not so clear I’m afraid. They didn’t always register sock colours and black & white images make it difficult to prove conclusively one way or another. I have found examples of black socks when some have claimed they were navy and I think that makes sense, but proving one or the other is tough.

I‘m loathe to say something’s a particular colour unless we’ve absolute proof. It’s a bit of a minefield to be honest.

Navy sock use is not so clear I’m afraid. They didn’t always register sock colours and black & white images make it difficult to prove conclusively one way or another. I have found examples of black socks when some have claimed they were navy and I think that makes sense, but proving one or the other is tough.

I‘m loathe to say something’s a particular colour unless we’ve absolute proof. It’s a bit of a minefield to be honest.
Black socks make sense as a nod to kits used since 1880.

I have this picture that’s been colour enhanced of the 1903-04 City Hyde Road team - who very nearly went on to win the First Division and FA Cup double (although the FA Cup win and celebrations probably stopped us winning the league a few days later as we lost to Everton where a win could have won us the title as well) that season - outside the Grand Hotel.

View attachment 77107

I don’t think that Grand Hotel is the city centre Grand Hotel on Aytoun Street. Looks more like a pub.
I've been looking to see if I can identify this building but no luck so far. It doesn't seem to be that grand a hotel to be called Grand with it's quite basic doorway (in hotel terms), like you say it looks more like a pub and I note the word Commercial in the left bay window so have searched for that too. It's bugging me now. Would a city centre location have railings and a wall in front like this? It reminds me of buildings you would see today in places like Ramsbottom but it won't be there. Perhaps a photo taken before an important game that we might know where they stayed overnight.

I've been looking to see if I can identify this building but no luck so far. It doesn't seem to be that grand a hotel to be called Grand with it's quite basic doorway (in hotel terms), like you say it looks more like a pub and I note the word Commercial in the left bay window so have searched for that too. It's bugging me now. Would a city centre location have railings and a wall in front like this? It reminds me of buildings you would see today in places like Ramsbottom but it won't be there. Perhaps a photo taken before an important game that we might know where they stayed overnight.
This photo used to be on a wall at Maine Road in the Blue Room or the Exec Suite (I can’t remember which). It also had a small caption under it saying where it was taken and it definitely is where they stayed for an away game. It’s not Manchester. I wish I could remember where it was but I also think it’s 1902-03 from memory, not 1904.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.