I’m off to Currys

I worked at Currys for 6 years before being made redundant shortly after the first lockdown ended and it's the best thing that could have happened to me.

I spoke to the carpet guy( like I said) and told my daughter to pay him the outstanding balance for work carried out minus £96 for cost of materials and labour for the unfinished beading. She said she doesn't want him to complete the job as he and his fitters have let her down and messed her about several times, plus one of his fitters ruined a white bath towel from cutting his finger. Also the manager and his fitter had a big arguement outside her house and the manager (owner) was bawling and shouting whilst punching his fitter's van. Not professional at all of him when neighbours could see him being a dickhead.

She is scared he will get nasty if he comes back to complete the job and I can understand that. But I doubt he'd kick off with her big ugly dad there making sure all goes smoothly whilst he completes a job that has taken over 2 months to do.

But she doesn't want him round and hasn't phoned him yesterday evening to further discuss like I told her too. She said she prefers to text saying that If he does become threatening and abusive written word could help incriminate him. I told her to hold 96 quid back and if he refuses that I'll sort it by going round to his shop to pay him what he's getting, and tell him what I think of the way he has totally being an unreasonable and unreliable arsehole for over two months. I will be civil and polite in an assertive manner. It his up to him how professional or amateurish he becomes when he won't like what I will tell him. But one thing is for sure, bad publicity will hit him harder in his bollocks than I can kick him and I'm getting too old for that kind of thing. Not as though I will need to even try if he has the sense to realise that he is in the wrong. There is a saying in business, "the customer is always right". I believe in that even if the customer isn't always right because they have the right to shop elsewhere, and most do when they have been treated badly and feel the need to go elsewhere to get the job completed. I hope he comes round to my logic and reasoning, we'll see...

Last edited:
Could you just not sit in with her whilst he completes the job to your satisfaction or just say to her to go out while you wait in for him?

Could you just not sit in with her whilst he completes the job to your satisfaction or just say to her to go out while you wait in for him?
Hi blue. Blimey Charlie lol.

My daughter thought she knew best by sending carpet blaggiing bully boy a text at 12am, against my advice of telling her he could be drunk and get nasty.

I managed to grab a few hours sleep and when I realised he tried phoning me twice within 5 mins of 10:15 I rang him back still tired and bleary eyed.

He started ranting and raving at me saying - " your daughter sent me a text at 12am threatening (she wasn't threatening) to not pay the money I'm owed. I am taking this personally as it's like robbing food off my kids. It will become personal and it's nothing to do with business!". I take that as a veiled threat towards myself and daughter. I asked him to calm down to an orderly civilised manner but he shouted "your fuckin' daughter owes me the money and if it's not paid within the hour I'll take it personally and sort it"!

He then slammed the phone down on me so after a couple of minutes I rang him back saying I'd pop round his shop face to face and pay him the £249 minus £96(as agreed). He then proceeded to threaten me saying "come round then, I want all the money or there'll be trouble" lol. Easy for any coked up knobhead to blurt down the blower. He then slammed the phone down on me.

I collected my thoughts and put them in text saying there are several ways to resolve this and violence is definitely not the answer as the police, trading standards and the taxman will be be interested. It's an unreceipted cash in hand job type paid into it's personal bank account, I'm sure the taxman will be very interested. And a bad review on social media will spread like wildfire to a point where he could lose his business.

His partner text me shortly after wanting to smooth things over as she'd obviously bollocked him for being such a dick head. I thanked her for her apology and told her the money will get paid. I text him back after a smarmy answer to my taxman query telling him he's in the state of a punch drunk boxer on the ropes waiting to be knocked out and I haven't even thrown a punch.

I got a couple of texts about their business money cash flow and her being 8 months pregnant etc. To cut an already long story short than it needs to be the matter has been resolved and he got the £249 we agreed on. My daughter rang the police for advice early this morning which they gave her. He knows about this and hopefully he'll reflect on how much of a threatening idiotic moron he has been in all of this. I don't expect he will try anything foolish from now on if he has any sense. And I told him he needs to learn pronto on how to deal with customers with respect and efficient reliability or he won't have any customers if he carries on the way he has! He's trading in the Manchester area. I do hope he takes heed and sharpens his act up as he has a family to provide for.

My daughter thought she knew best by sending carpet blaggiing bully boy a text at 12am, against my advice of telling her he could be drunk and get nasty.

I managed to grab a few hours sleep and when I realised he tried phoning me twice within 5 mins of 10:15 I rang him back still tired and bleary eyed.

He started ranting and raving at me saying - " your daughter sent me a text at 12am threatening (she wasn't threatening) to not pay the money I'm owed. I am taking this personally as it's like robbing food off my kids. It will become personal and it's nothing to do with business!". I take that as a veiled threat towards myself and daughter. I asked him to calm down to an orderly civilised manner but he shouted "your fuckin' daughter owes me the money and if it's not paid within the hour I'll take it personally and sort it"!

He then slammed the phone down on me so after a couple of minutes I rang him back saying I'd pop round his shop face to face and pay him the £249 minus £96(as agreed). He then proceeded to threaten me saying "come round then, I want all the money or there'll be trouble" lol. Easy for any coked up knobhead to blurt down the blower. He then slammed the phone down on me.

I collected my thoughts and put them in text saying there are several ways to resolve this and violence is definitely not the answer as the police, trading standards and the taxman will be be interested. It's an unreceipted cash in hand job type paid into it's personal bank account, I'm sure the taxman will be very interested. And a bad review on social media will spread like wildfire to a point where he could lose his business.

His partner text me shortly after wanting to smooth things over as she'd obviously bollocked him for being such a dick head. I thanked her for her apology and told her the money will get paid. I text him back after a smarmy answer to my taxman query telling him he's in the state of a punch drunk boxer on the ropes waiting to be knocked out and I haven't even thrown a punch.

I got a couple of texts about their business money cash flow and her being 8 months pregnant etc. To cut an already long story short than it needs to be the matter has been resolved and he got the £249 we agreed on. My daughter rang the police for advice early this morning which they gave her. He knows about this and hopefully he'll reflect on how much of a threatening idiotic moron he has been in all of this. I don't expect he will try anything foolish from now on if he has any sense. And I told him he needs to learn pronto on how to deal with customers with respect and efficient reliability or he won't have any customers if he carries on the way he has! He's trading in the Manchester area. I do hope he takes heed and sharpens his act up as he has a family to provide for.
It would be very bad for his business if the company name got out into the Internet

I am on me way! :)

It would be very bad for his business if the company name got out into the Internet
Exactly. And i stressed this to him, and he knows the score now he's calmed down and come to his senses . I told my daughter to not contact trading standards or name and shame him with bad feedback. He's a family man under a lot of stress trying to eek out a living in carpets and laminates. I don't want to kick a guy when he's down as I'm not a complete bastard, I've been stressed and struggling too in life and stress ain't easy, especially nowadays. I didn't need to resort to violence he threatened and I've mellowed and am much more reasoned and calmer nowadays and don't want any of that shit. If I was younger when my fuse was shorter it may of hade a different outcome but my way of dealing with him has pacified him and resolved a row over an ongoing dispute that is now over with.

Exactly. And i stressed this to him, and he knows the score now he's calmed down and come to his senses . I told my daughter to not contact trading standards or name and shame him with bad feedback. He's a family man under a lot of stress trying to eek out a living in carpets and laminates. I don't want to kick a guy when he's down as I'm not a complete bastard, I've been stressed and struggling too in life and stress ain't easy, especially nowadays. I didn't need to resort to violence he threatened and I've mellowed and am much more reasoned and calmer nowadays and don't want any of that shit. If I was younger when my fuse was shorter it may of hade a different outcome but my way of dealing with him has pacified him and resolved a row over an ongoing dispute that is now over with.
There would have been no need for any of this nonesense if you had used your Barclay-card!

I worked at currys a decade ago, 20-30 hours per week while training for another job. I was surprised as hell to learn they lost money 11 months of the year and only clawed everything back in December (Broadheath branch). Their parent company DSG was struggling back then so god knows what state they are in now. I think comet going under first gave them some breathing room but AO and the continued rise of Amazon etc has really buggered them up 10 years ago.

I hated getting targeted on selling the mostly useless extra warranty shit and pushing HDMI cables worth £3 for £50, proper shitty.

From the stories, things started going downhill when they changed and cut the bonuses of the sales staff, who would look after their customers and be rewarded appropriately, many replaced with less trained and lower paid replacements.
I worked a Saturday job there about 20 years ago and even back then it was a credit agreement company that sold electronics on the side. A lot of these companies that can no longer compete on price turn to upselling on other shit to make their money. I watched one of those secret shopper things on youtube the other day about Dell and even though the customer said they had the money to pay up front, they tried to get her to take a credit agreement 3 times and the same with the extended warranty (which they then added to the invoice anyway even when she said no).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.