I’m off to Currys

After over a month of shit with them I’m taking a flask and butties down to Curry’s and refuse to leave until I get my money back. Had a fridge delivered at start of November, it was the wrong one, didn’t take delivery. Phoned up to re order, we had to wait 24 hours to let the other one get to warehouse, did this ordered a new one, said it would be 10-21 days on back order. Two days later it appeared on the web for delivery Wednesday, phoned up, our order had been cancelled! So we said order us one now then, can’t do that until we refund your e-gift card! Do it then quick, that was 20 days ago.
they said 5 days for a refund, then 8, then 14, we then contacted them, they said there’d been an error and it would be a further 14 days! For a month weve phoned, emailed and yesterday the last straw I went to the store once they’d opened, the poor girl behind the corner got both barrels. She then got on the phone and they said it would be refunded in two hours, guess what it didnt fucking happen. So today I’m off to spend my day off to get my £759 back, unfortunately it’s on a gift card otherwise I would never shop there again.
I think Currys are going bust, so if any of you have any gift cards go in store and spend them now, just search the internet to see how they are keeping people’s money, I’ve hammered them on social media, tagging Watchdog, Martin lewis etc in, they contact you like last night saying gift card would be refunded by 11pm. I’m not surprised Amazon are so big, when you order something it comes and they refund no questions, these British companies are going under because they are shit.
After over a month of shit with them I’m taking a flask and butties down to Curry’s and refuse to leave until I get my money back. Had a fridge delivered at start of November, it was the wrong one, didn’t take delivery. Phoned up to re order, we had to wait 24 hours to let the other one get to warehouse, did this ordered a new one, said it would be 10-21 days on back order. Two days later it appeared on the web for delivery Wednesday, phoned up, our order had been cancelled! So we said order us one now then, can’t do that until we refund your e-gift card! Do it then quick, that was 20 days ago.
they said 5 days for a refund, then 8, then 14, we then contacted them, they said there’d been an error and it would be a further 14 days! For a month weve phoned, emailed and yesterday the last straw I went to the store once they’d opened, the poor girl behind the corner got both barrels. She then got on the phone and they said it would be refunded in two hours, guess what it didnt fucking happen. So today I’m off to spend my day off to get my £759 back, unfortunately it’s on a gift card otherwise I would never shop there again.
I think Currys are going bust, so if any of you have any gift cards go in store and spend them now, just search the internet to see how they are keeping people’s money, I’ve hammered them on social media, tagging Watchdog, Martin lewis etc in, they contact you like last night saying gift card would be refunded by 11pm. I’m not surprised Amazon are so big, when you order something it comes and they refund no questions, these British companies are going under because they are shit.
I had been looking at fridge freezers a few mins ago and one possibility was from Currys. Thanks for airing your experiences. l will look elsewhere.

Why does a refund take days, but a purchase takes seconds? And, why don't they count weekends or holidays? Bastards
They are crooks mate, simple as that.

The longer they can keep money in their account, the more chance they can make some interest from it. It’s free money for them earnt from money that isn’t even theirs.

City do the same thing. They wait (or did do at one time) something like 42 days to refund you for a game you put in the ticket exchange.

Why does a refund take days, but a purchase takes seconds? And, why don't they count weekends or holidays? Bastards
The reason for that is the payment system used in the UK was introduced in the 90's when banks didn't open at weekends.

The way it works is this:

You buy an item from a retailer with a debit/credit card and the retailer requests the funds from your card provider which usually takes seconds. If you have the funds they will be taken from your account and they are what's called ring fenced.

What this means is that the funds are not with the retailer or the card provider but are in a holding account within the central banking system. Once the order is complete or processed the funds are transferred to the retailer. If the reatailer cancels the order before it's completed the funds should automatically drop back into the customers account.

For a refund when a retailer completes it they request the funds to back to the customer but again it first goes though a holding account within the central banking system who then submit back to the card provider. This can take up to 5 working days as the central banking system doesn't operate on weekends or bank holidays.

That's why when you buy something or take cash out of your account at weekends it usually doesn't show on your state until Monday or Tuesday.

If you ever need to dispute a refund or want to know why a refund is taking so long contact the retailer and ask for the refund transaction ID number. A trans ID number is also generated when a refund is processed and the retailer can give you that. Once you have that contact your card provider with that ID number and they will be able to see where your money is

I'll never buy from Curry's again.

My last experience of trying to contact them meant me waiting on hold for several hours at a time only for them to cut me off for no reason. At this point they had turned off their online chat and their stores were closed which was very stressful!

Ok update, I turned up as the doors open, guy on the front door asks what I wanted, so as I walked past him I said customer services (turns out he’s the manager) he asked what for , I told him I want my voucher sorting out, nothing to do with us please leave, No I said and continued to walk into the store him following. He starts ranting and raving saying he had no staff to deal with it and I would be waiting all day, I said fine by me I’d planned on it. I thought his head would explode, but but we can’t do anything, I said you can phone them you have a direct line I was in yesterday and was promised it would be sorted yesterday. Again he asked me to leave I refused, he said what is your name I said it’s in my wife’s, he then really turned obnoxious he said right I’ll only deal with her and I’m not talking to you again and neither will any of my staff!
I pointed out she’s in the vulnerable category and couldn’t come to store, he said he wouldn’t let her in anyway! That’s when I got proper pissed off, I said fine call her I’m not leaving and he asked me to move away from other customers I went and stood in a corner, I said fine mate but I ain’t going anywhere, he then made a few phone callls, next minute he’s on the phone to my wife and she laid into him, he said you need to tell your husband to leave or he will be forcibly ejected!
He told her it would be sorted by 1pm, she said if it isn’t she would come down he just said I won’t let you in and will talk outside only. He would personally make sure it’s sorted and would phone her back at 1pm. The wife phoned me and asked me to leave as it could turn nasty, i was adamant I didnt want to but she sound stressed to fuck. So I left.
Roll on 1pm and he calls he then proceeds to apologise that he handled it all wrong and that he didn’t want me there for Covid reasons (bullshit). He has offered a few options which although sound good are not acceptable to us ( means us getting into debt, hoping they refund to pay that off). He has phoned back again at 3.30 pm and said it was processed yesterday but can take upto 5 days, so it will be done by Monday, he will personally check on it. Funny that because they insisted on the phone yesterday it would be credited in two hours, then by the latest by 11pm last night! Also 3 weeks ago it would take 5,8,14 days.
I don’t hold out much hope now, however we have got a face to it now, and he knows I’ll be down again, whether he lets me in or not or I have to do the old Facebook live filming (hate to do that shit) but if anything helps I’ll do it. I’ve contacted BBC Watchdog again and also in the process of filling out a Moneyclaim via the governments own website, something I didn’t know you could do.
For those asking why we used gift card it’s through the blue light card you get 6% off, but never again, I really do think Currys are going bump and are using our money to stay afloat until new year.

sorry you seem to be having a shit time with them, why not just contact the ceo. Details are easy to find online instead of being an ass in the store, they will pass it to their PA and it will get sorted. FYI Curry’s / PCWorld / Carphone have had one of there best years ever in terms of profit..... Mrs works for them.

The reason for that is the payment system used in the UK was introduced in the 90's when banks didn't open at weekends.

The way it works is this:

You buy an item from a retailer with a debit/credit card and the retailer requests the funds from your card provider which usually takes seconds. If you have the funds they will be taken from your account and they are what's called ring fenced.

What this means is that the funds are not with the retailer or the card provider but are in a holding account within the central banking system. Once the order is complete or processed the funds are transferred to the retailer. If the reatailer cancels the order before it's completed the funds should automatically drop back into the customers account.

For a refund when a retailer completes it they request the funds to back to the customer but again it first goes though a holding account within the central banking system who then submit back to the card provider. This can take up to 5 working days as the central banking system doesn't operate on weekends or bank holidays.

That's why when you buy something or take cash out of your account at weekends it usually doesn't show on your state until Monday or Tuesday.

If you ever need to dispute a refund or want to know why a refund is taking so long contact the retailer and ask for the refund transaction ID number. A trans ID number is also generated when a refund is processed and the retailer can give you that. Once you have that contact your card provider with that ID number and they will be able to see where your money is
Excellent post.

Excellent post.
Thanks.

Juside a side note about PayPal and eBay as someone mentioned it before.

PayPal payments work in excalty the same way as debit/credit card payment but when the money is ring fenced it doesn't go to the central banking system it goes directly to PayPal who pass it on to the retailer.

When a PayPal refund is processed it works in the opposite way but in the T&C's which you have to agree to it states a refund can take upto 21 days. In my experience with dealing with PayPal refunds it's normally a lot quicker than that(3-5 days) however I have spoken to customers who were querying their PayPal refunds and I've had to explain its PayPals way of refunding not the retailers.

With eBay they own a large stake in PayPal and it's their preferred method of payment as pay charge a transaction fee to the card provider and seller to handle the money.

I last read eBays T&C's a few years ago but again it's said if you are querying a refund or not yet received one they have to raise an investigation with the seller which can take up to 30 days which in UK law is the maximum reasonable number of days to investigate and then process a non refund

Ok update, I turned up as the doors open, guy on the front door asks what I wanted, so as I walked past him I said customer services (turns out he’s the manager) he asked what for , I told him I want my voucher sorting out, nothing to do with us please leave, No I said and continued to walk into the store him following. He starts ranting and raving saying he had no staff to deal with it and I would be waiting all day, I said fine by me I’d planned on it. I thought his head would explode, but but we can’t do anything, I said you can phone them you have a direct line I was in yesterday and was promised it would be sorted yesterday. Again he asked me to leave I refused, he said what is your name I said it’s in my wife’s, he then really turned obnoxious he said right I’ll only deal with her and I’m not talking to you again and neither will any of my staff!
I pointed out she’s in the vulnerable category and couldn’t come to store, he said he wouldn’t let her in anyway! That’s when I got proper pissed off, I said fine call her I’m not leaving and he asked me to move away from other customers I went and stood in a corner, I said fine mate but I ain’t going anywhere, he then made a few phone callls, next minute he’s on the phone to my wife and she laid into him, he said you need to tell your husband to leave or he will be forcibly ejected!
He told her it would be sorted by 1pm, she said if it isn’t she would come down he just said I won’t let you in and will talk outside only. He would personally make sure it’s sorted and would phone her back at 1pm. The wife phoned me and asked me to leave as it could turn nasty, i was adamant I didnt want to but she sound stressed to fuck. So I left.
Roll on 1pm and he calls he then proceeds to apologise that he handled it all wrong and that he didn’t want me there for Covid reasons (bullshit). He has offered a few options which although sound good are not acceptable to us ( means us getting into debt, hoping they refund to pay that off). He has phoned back again at 3.30 pm and said it was processed yesterday but can take upto 5 days, so it will be done by Monday, he will personally check on it. Funny that because they insisted on the phone yesterday it would be credited in two hours, then by the latest by 11pm last night! Also 3 weeks ago it would take 5,8,14 days.
I don’t hold out much hope now, however we have got a face to it now, and he knows I’ll be down again, whether he lets me in or not or I have to do the old Facebook live filming (hate to do that shit) but if anything helps I’ll do it. I’ve contacted BBC Watchdog again and also in the process of filling out a Moneyclaim via the governments own website, something I didn’t know you could do.
For those asking why we used gift card it’s through the blue light card you get 6% off, but never again, I really do think Currys are going bump and are using our money to stay afloat until new year.
If you get jibbed again mate, a nice public tweet to their customer support team on Twitter can get the wheels greased.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.