I met a City Fan today. I understand what that means now.

usacitizen

Found out tonight what it means. I had come here from the United States after nearly forty years of supporting the blues to see my first game live, and thought that I was a real fan. I'm not.

I met one tonight though. Gave me his season ticket so I could catch the game. Took me all over Manchester in his car and showed me some of the City history, past and present. Names I'd heard for years. Images I'd seen on Youtube or photos. Platt Lane. Mary Ds. Kippax Road. And of course the new ground in all its shiny size and heigth.

He took me to where Maine Road once was. He just looked at the fencing and said "souless". I think it was hard for him to see. He went all quiet.

It helped me keep a lifelong broken promise too, because I always swore I would go there. I have some turf to bring home.

There have been times these last forty years when I've wondered why I chose City, I'll be honest. A lot of late nights in strange countries with tough outcomes.

I know now why I chose the blues. No more narky bullshit on this site from me, and no more thinking that I really understand what it means to be a City fan. But I'm proud to know one.

I'd hate to go back to where Maine Rd stood I think.

So your over for the game tomorrow? Is this your first game?

Let's hope we do it for you!!

usacitizen said:
Found out tonight what it means. I had come here from the United States after nearly forty years of supporting the blues to see my first game live, and thought that I was a real fan. I'm not.

I met one tonight though. Gave me his season ticket so I could catch the game. Took me all over Manchester in his car and showed me some of the City history, past and present. Names I'd heard for years. Images I'd seen on Youtube or photos. Platt Lane. Mary Ds. Kippax Road. And of course the new ground in all its shiny size and heigth.

He took me to where Maine Road once was. He just looked at the fencing and said "souless". I think it was hard for him to see. He went all quiet.

It helped me keep a lifelong broken promise too, because I always swore I would go there. I have some turf to bring home.

There have been times these last forty years when I've wondered why I chose City, I'll be honest. A lot of late nights in strange countries with tough outcomes.

I know now why I chose the blues. No more narky bullshit on this site from me, and no more thinking that I really understand what it means to be a City fan. But I'm proud to know one.
you are a real City fan...dont ever think otherwise...:) Enjoy the win tomorrow.

nice one mate, I'm glad you feel like you do (in a nice way obviously). BTW I've never been back to MR, driving up Princess Parkway is bad enough!

Manchester City Soccer club til I die! I dream One day, Manchester city can rub shoulders with some of the MLS greats like LA Galaxy .....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.