"I would rather lose a tournament than break my word to a player"

Well in the spirit of keeping things short and sweet, you're again making a supposition of what Manuel meant by that statement and fluffing it up with a whole host of other things.

I pay my money to see us win and win in style (if possible). So pardon me for being concerned when our manager says he'll sacrifice a win to save one players feelings. And again, if Manuel was so concerned about player's feelings, why didn't he give a second thought for dropping Jovetic from our CL squad? Poor, poor Jovetic hey, he must be feeling like a proper second class Citizen right now.......

Please feel free to explain that one.....
Whereas I pay my money to see City play. Always have done and always will do. Some things in life are more important than winning.

I think everyone in the squad knew WC had been designated domestic cup keeper.
Change that for no good reason, and it undermines trust in anything MP has said to any player.

.... So pardon me for being concerned when our manager says he'll sacrifice a win to save one players feelings. And again, if Manuel was so concerned about player's feelings, why didn't he give a second thought for dropping Jovetic from our CL squad? Poor, poor Jovetic hey, he must be feeling like a proper second class Citizen right now.......

Please feel free to explain that one.....

He didn't say that though. He said it was about having given his word.

That's without getting into the strawman allegation that he didn't think twice about Jovetic - I mean, really? You can't seriously believe that.

It's those big calls that seperate the men from the boys. I said earlier in the week he's in danger of tarnishing his legacy in a lot of supporters eyes and had the final gone the other way with a Caballero error or two they'd be no coming back.
Such are the fine margins in football we've ended up at the other end of the spectrum and Pellegrini and Willy are in cup final folklore and the final will be forever remembered for our goalkeeping heroics.

Football, fuckinell eh?

Personally I'm delighted for both of them. I wanted Hart to start and I was wrong. Not because of the result, who knows what the score would have been, or how it would have panned out otherwise, but because it confirms we've got somebody in charge who has integrity, morals and a trust in his squad that a few of us on here would do well to follow.
All in all a great weekend that could well be the catalyst for a huge 12 weeks.

Manuel is a very principled man. Once he made a promise, he will not break it. That goes to the very essence of his value system. Wether he should be making promises like that is an entirely different question. Whatever, it turned out brilliantly, Willie is written into our history as a hero. On a personal basis, you could see what it meant to Willie in the post match interviews and no doubt he will be full of confidence if called on again this season.

I'm not a fan of his statement, he is there to win trophies not to keep promises.

The solution isn't to break his promises, but to not make them in the first place.

I'm not a fan of his statement, he is there to win trophies not to keep promises.

The solution isn't to break his promises, but to not make them in the first place.

Broadly, I agree. However, if the decision is made that the no. 2 keeper has to be of a quality enough to step into the first team and/or push the first choice keeper, it is almost certainly going to be necessary to guarantee him some game time regardless so he's sharp enough when needed.

It seems quite accepted now that the no. 2 plays the cups.

Broadly, I agree. However, if the decision is made that the no. 2 keeper has to be of a quality enough to step into the first team and/or push the first choice keeper, it is almost certainly going to be necessary to guarantee him some game time regardless so he's sharp enough when needed.

It seems quite accepted now that the no. 2 plays the cups.
Which is why I am dead against the 'cup keeper' policy that has crept into football. It isn't rational to me - it infers that all domestic cup games are inferior to all league games which obviously isn't true.

It is too black and white and leads to playing a weakened team in a cup final. I would much rather a more flexible approach, where the backup comes in for a few easier league games over busy periods (like Xmas period etc), and Joe Hart can still play in key cup games and Wembley finals.

I hope we see a new approach under Guardiola.

Which is why I am dead against the 'cup keeper' policy that has crept into football. It isn't rational to me - it infers that all domestic cup games are inferior to all league games which obviously isn't true.

It is too black and white and leads to playing a weakened team in a cup final. I would much rather a more flexible approach, where the backup comes in for a few easier league games over busy periods (like Xmas period etc), and Joe Hart can still play in key cup games and Wembley finals.

I hope we see a new approach under Guardiola.

Well, that's certainly a valid alternative.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.