"I would rather lose a tournament than break my word to a player"

Potato - Potaato. Now you're just splitting hairs.

Whatever mate, it amounts to the same thing which is, "I would rather LOSE a tournament than break my word to a player".

The result is paramount, but obviously our owners don't agree with me which is why they've extended Manuel's contract by 12 months because he embodies everything the club is about on and off the field. Sorry, I apologise.

Mate you're ignoring the fact that he wouldn't give his word if he felt it was going to cost us.

Which is why I am dead against the 'cup keeper' policy that has crept into football. It isn't rational to me - it infers that all domestic cup games are inferior to all league games which obviously isn't true.

It is too black and white and leads to playing a weakened team in a cup final. I would much rather a more flexible approach, where the backup comes in for a few easier league games over busy periods (like Xmas period etc), and Joe Hart can still play in key cup games and Wembley finals.

I hope we see a new approach under Guardiola
We will not. Guardiola played Pinto (back up at Barca) in multiple cup finals.

You have to believe in your squad. Show faith in back up keeper's in key situations. If you wouldn't let them play the big game. You hurt your club as well as their development and readiness to step in.

The principled stance doesn't end but he's smart enough to make promises, or give his word if you like, in situations where the likelihood is that it's not going to come back and bite him on the arse.
Again, you completely miss my point. I couldn't give a rats arse about the promises he's made, but I am concerned with, "I would rather LOSE a tournament than break my word to a player".

Obviously our owners agree with his philosophy which is why they've extended his contract by 12 months and NOT winning trophies doesn't concern them at all.

Mate you're ignoring the fact that he wouldn't give his word if he felt it was going to cost us.
When will you understand I'm not arsed about him giving his word, I'm just bothered about the I'd rather LOSE bit.

Question: If asked in private, do you think our owner would agree with Manuel's I'd rather LOSE part of his statement?

When will you understand I'm not arsed about him giving his word, I'm just bothered about the I'd rather LOSE bit.

Question: If asked in private, do you think our owner would agree with Manuel's I'd rather LOSE part of his statement?

With them looking at the bigger picture and long term. yes I think they would agree.

We will not. Guardiola played Pinto (back up at Barca) in multiple cup finals.

You have to believe in your squad. Show faith in back up keeper's in key situations. If you wouldn't let them play the big game. You hurt your club as well as their development and readiness to step in.

It's a policy which is unlikely to change under Pep, but if it we go into a cup final with our 2nd keeper & he costs us the game due to being in a shit run of form, imo the manager will have fucked up.

It should be a situation which is subject to the player in question performing up to the required standard, not a 'promise' that he plays irrespective. Joe Hart was dropped from the Prem team when he hit a bad spell. The 'cup keeper' should have the same rule applied.

Personally, I would treat both domestic cup competitions as an opportunity to bring through one or two kids, but we have put out our strongest available teams for the most part, when we can, in each one, risking fitness in other competitions, which makes this idea of then always picking the reserve keeper because he's on a 'promise' a bit hypocritical.

I think Pep will do the same on the whole though, but possibly use more kids in the earlier rounds.

Again, you completely miss my point. I couldn't give a rats arse about the promises he's made, but I am concerned with, "I would rather LOSE a tournament than break my word to a player".

Obviously our owners agree with his philosophy which is why they've extended his contract by 12 months and NOT winning trophies doesn't concern them at all.

Can you not see how absurd your second paragraph is? And how absurd the leap you've made from Manuel's comment to the conclusion you've come to is?

It's a policy which is unlikely to change under Pep, but if it we go into a cup final with our 2nd keeper & he costs us the game due to being in a shit run of form, imo the manager will have fucked up.

It should be a situation which is subject to the player in question performing up to the required standard, not a 'promise' that he plays irrespective. Joe Hart was dropped from the Prem team when he hit a bad spell. The 'cup keeper' should have the same rule applied.

Personally, I would treat both domestic cup competitions as an opportunity to bring through one or two kids, but we have put out our strongest available teams for the most part, when we can, in each one, risking fitness in other competitions, which makes this idea of then always picking the reserve keeper because he's on a 'promise' a bit hypocritical.

I think Pep will do the same on the whole though, but possibly use more kids in the earlier rounds.

Thing is mate, form is based on more than one game, could you say Willy was out of form just because of his performance against Chelsea?

I would say based on his previous three appearances he was in good form with the Chelsea game being a blip.

I think your worry is just make believe. Getting caught up in the 'i'd rather lose' comment and focussing exclusively on it, in an attempt to overstate it's importance to the detriment of everything else said is laughable.

It's the equivalent of a player who just won a game saying ' l'd have rather died, than lose that match' and someone then going off for days arguing the club has a suicide threatening player on its squad. It's a cute, but somewhat silly conclusion to reach. Even though the factual claim States it.

In reality, common sense suggests all the player is really saying, is that he is 'committed' not that he'd actually die. Manuel too is simply saying he is 'principled' not that he'd actually lose.

Clearly for example, if Willy had a cast on his leg a week before the final certainly Manuel wouldn't have played him. Equally, if he was terrible in practice or prior games too.

Thing is mate, form is based on more than one game, could you say Willy was out of form just because of his performance against Chelsea?

I would say based on his previous three appearances he was in good form with the Chelsea game being a blip.

I think he's been pretty poor in most games this season & last tbh bar the penalty saves which I'm not sure Joe would have got, so that worked out perfectly.

BUT, I don't think Liverpool would have scored the equaliser if Hart had been playing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.