"I would rather lose a tournament than break my word to a player"

That's not the point or the question though. The point was 'Manuel would rather lose the tournament than not keep his word to Willy'.

Personally, I'd rather the trophy

Ha, on a night we won the cup I'll respectfully leave this discussion. Better things to do!

That's not the point or the question though. The point was 'Manuel would rather lose the tournament than not keep his word to Willy'.

Personally, I'd rather the trophy

As fans we'd all love the trophy the most, however I think it's a great attitude from Pellegrini and something which has been valuable during his time here as he's always had the players' respect. If he had been our long-term manager I'd definitely take the players' respect for Pellegrini over the trophy, in the end it's the lack of such man management skills that cost Mancini his job and a FA Cup trophy.

Ha, on a night we won the cup I'll respectfully leave this discussion. Better things to do!
What would have made more sense to me is when asked the question he'd said 'I'd rather win the trophy, but I'm 100% sure Willy is the right choice and won't let himself down so that's why I'm sticking with him'.

I construed the statement he made to mean, keeping his word to Willy was more important than winning the tournament.

As fans we'd all love the trophy the most, however I think it's a great attitude from Pellegrini and something which has been valuable during his time here as he's always had the players' respect. If he had been our long-term manager I'd definitely take the players' respect for Pellegrini over the trophy, in the end it's the lack of such man management skills that cost Mancini his job and a FA Cup trophy.
I suppose it comes down to whether you want to be everyone's best mate or win trophies. Unfortunately if you gave most successful organisations the choice of Mr Nice Guy, or the cut throat winner, most would opt for the latter. It's the law of the jungle.

What would have made more sense to me is when asked the question he'd said 'I'd rather win the trophy, but I'm 100% sure Willy is the right choice and won't let himself down so that's why I'm sticking with him'.

I construed the statement he made to mean, keeping his word to Willy was more important than winning the tournament.

To be fair, he made the comment post-match (I think?!), which changes things a bit. As said elsewhere, hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm not going to quibble. It showed some cojones, and he was vindicated. Part of being a good manager.

The easiest thing in the Wotld would have been to pick Hart.
Our manager despite being replaced still wants to win but in his way.

To make these calls takes balls.

To be fair, he made the comment post-match (I think?!), which changes things a bit. As said elsewhere, hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm not going to quibble. It showed some cojones, and he was vindicated. Part of being a good manager.
Tbh mate, I had no issue with Willy starting, I actually defended him saying it can't be easy going weeks without a first team game and then having to come in cold and perform. I think the criticism the team got last week was ridiculous. The only problem I had with the Chelsea match was us playing 442 away to a full strength Chelsea team with 6 kids and the reserve team making up the balance. Most full strength Premier League teams wouldn't have attempted that never mind with a team full of academy kids.

The winner in me would have packed out the midfield, frustrating Chelsea and hitting them on the counter. The brief to the players would have been don't lose and let's try and force the replay. I suppose it just comes down to how much you want to win.

Tbh mate, I had no issue with Willy starting. I think the criticism the team got last week was ridiculous. The only problem I had with the Chelsea match was us playing 442 away to a full strength Chelsea team with 6 kids and the reserve team making up the balance. Most full strength Premier League teams wouldn't have attempted that never mind with a team full of academy kids.

The winner in me would have packed out the midfield, frustrating Chelsea and hitting them on the counter. The brief to the players would have been don't lose and let's try and force the replay. I suppose it just comes down to how much you want to win.

I think ultimately we purposely threw that game, rightly or wrongly. I think Pellegrini did it either with the club's consent, or even their insistence. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but I think it has been vindicated with the last two results. Should we unexpectedly win the league then it becomes even more justifiable, but in the scheme of things I'd have taken a win today (and on Wednesday) in exchange for a defeat on Sunday. Not mutually exclusive of course, but winning all three fixtures this week was never realistic given our injuries.

I think ultimately we purposely threw that game, rightly or wrongly. I think Pellegrini did it either with the club's consent, or even their insistence. It was a bitter pill to swallow, but I think it has been vindicated with the last two results. Should we unexpectedly win the league then it becomes even more justifiable, but in the scheme of things I'd have taken a win today (and on Wednesday) in exchange for a defeat on Sunday. Not mutually exclusive of course, but winning all three fixtures this week was never realistic given our injuries.
It all turned out for the best, so I agree we can all be happy with a superb 4-5 days. Let's just hope we keep it going for Wednesday night too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.