Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

Storm are still going, playing out of Altrincham. Not playing particularly well this season but we still go as its still a great night out. Regularly getting 15/1600 crowds per match.

I remember when Manchester Storm used to pull over 17,000 at the arena. You have to keep your eye on the puck if you are spectating, remember some poor lady sat on the back row getting knocked out by one. Brutal sport.
And 16,000 of the tickets were freebies.
Once the free tickets to schools and offices throughout the city centre stopped, the crowds stopped going.

Once the free tickets to schools and offices throughout the city centre stopped, the crowds stopped going.
They needed 2k to carry on breaking-even there which they couldn't get.

Storm reformed recently, took over from Phoenix , who took over from Storm, and they were playing in Wales and Sheffield at one point. The prices were silly too, though they haven't gone up much in 15 years. The NIHL North was much better value, and it wasn't that big a drop off in quality.

Used to have a season ticket when I was about 16/17, and going to the arena for the Ice Hockey usually 2 times a week was brilliant. Ticket was probably around £100 for the year, which was a bargain.

It was a real shame the attendances dropped off, as it was regularly over 8,000 + even in midweek.

Must have been multiple reasons why the team had to leave the arena, but it wasn't 16000 tickets given away every game, plenty of paying punters, but I do remember individual ticket prices rising considerably, so families were probably getting priced out, especially when the games were so frequent.

Used to have a season ticket when I was about 16/17, and going to the arena for the Ice Hockey usually 2 times a week was brilliant. Ticket was probably around £100 for the year, which was a bargain.

It was a real shame the attendances dropped off, as it was regularly over 8,000 + even in midweek.

Must have been multiple reasons why the team had to leave the arena, but it wasn't 16000 tickets given away every game, plenty of paying punters, but I do remember individual ticket prices rising considerably, so families were probably getting priced out, especially when the games were so frequent.
My understanding was that the Arena's ownership group (I think SMG?) did a 180 in terms of their feelings towards having tenants, going from being very supportive to totally ambivalent or even hostile.

They needed 2k to carry on breaking-even there which they couldn't get.

Storm reformed recently, took over from Phoenix , who took over from Storm, and they were playing in Wales and Sheffield at one point. The prices were silly too, though they haven't gone up much in 15 years. The NIHL North was much better value, and it wasn't that big a drop off in quality.

Its not so recently now when you think about it, 7 years this year. Been around the same length as the original Storm was at this point.

I recall one game with GMR live commentary i was listening too. It was a Sunday evening and the game went into extra time, finished something like 10.15pm.
Commentator said something like 2/3rds of the crowd had gone by 9.30pm with kids being in school the next day.

I met a drywaller a few years ago that said he had gone over there to play hockey. I'm not sure where, could it have been Sheffield? Did they have a team?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.