Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

Obviously not...

Has he been found guilty or is it just standard procedure these days when someone is killed?

He has been arrested, nothing more as yet and we will see how it pans out.

My opinion as a hockey fan who has watched the game since the 80’s is this was a one in a million freak accident, nothing more. An opinion the vast majority of the hockey world seems to share.

How do you see it, GDM? If a sportsman goes “to do” an opponent that results in death, it seems a little more than manslaughter, but seems harsh or hard to prove intent and therefore murder?
The law around sport is quite nuanced tbf but there is a case called Brown that was to do with sadomasachism which found that you can consent to common assault and battery being committed upon your person (and possibly ABH, can’t quite remember it’s been that long) but not GBH - and I always assumed team sport fell broadly into that realm. Only an educated guess, but it makes sense. By playing ice hockey you must consent to being assaulted (as would be the case elsewhere) but that cannot be without limits. To suggest otherwise would be absurd. As with all assaults, the intent will be key (along with the injuries sustained).

Might ask someone tomorrow!

In footballing parle, it looked to me like 'he left his foot in'. If that's the norm in then things are about to change very quickly in that area. Obviously there was no intent to endanger life but still a tragic consequence, nonetheless.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.