Ice Hockey | Player arrested for manslaughter following death of Adam Johnson (P18)

Out of interest - purely my own ignorance - but why isn’t the neck covered? Or is it?

I’m amazed stuff like this doesn’t happen more often and equally amazed that every bit of skin isn’t covered given the speed of the play and sharpness of the blades.

Horrible injury.
I'm not sure, the neck guards are really uncomfortable but then so are the helmets and the chest/shoulder pads aren't great either.

But 2 areas of the body in your neck and your wrists are the parts with no padding and they are parts which can cause you to bleed out.

Petgrave comes in to deliver a hip check but gets clipped by another Panthers player sending him completely off balance and into a spin. The angle of the video doesn't show it very well

Exactly what happened.

It’s a completely freak accident, terrible and my thoughts are with Petgrave right now. He must be going through absolute turmoil.

Petgrave comes in to deliver a hip check but gets clipped by another Panthers player sending him completely off balance and into a spin. The angle of the video doesn't show it very well
What about the theory he kicked out in the spin and caught him, seen it a few times and it does look like it.

What about the theory he kicked out in the spin and caught him, seen it a few times and it does look like it.

Horseshit mate.

He gets hip checked and thrown off balance and it’s 100% a totally blameless freak accident.

Reactions: nmc
Horseshit mate.

He gets hip checked and thrown off balance and it’s 100% a totally blameless freak accident.

That was exactly my interpretation too. Said it earlier but he’s going to need a lot of support, can’t even imagine how he must be feeling.

Out of interest - purely my own ignorance - but why isn’t the neck covered? Or is it?

I’m amazed stuff like this doesn’t happen more often and equally amazed that every bit of skin isn’t covered given the speed of the play and sharpness of the blades.

Horrible injury.
Not ignorant fella, and a fair question. It isn't mandatory for players over the age of 18 to wear neck guards. They are available and all juniors wear them. Wrist guards are also available for the same reason you're asking about the need for a neck guard to be worn.

Players find neck guards really uncomfortable and restrictive, and choose not to wear them.

I watched and photographed Ice Hockey for over 20 years from the mid 80's until I retired as a pro photographer, I used to make a living from it, I must have attended over 2500 games from internationals at world championships, NHL games in North America, european games and at all sorts of levels in the UK.

I have never witnessed a blade injury to the neck in all that time, occasional cuts to the face or chin from high sticks or being hit by the puck but never a blade. I have a photo library of over 150,000 images, and excluding junior hockey I only remember the odd goalie wearing a neck guard as puck protection more than for a blade.

An NHL goalie, Clint Malarchuk got a similar injury in the late 80's and thankfully survived.

Anyone who thinks that there was any intentional action from Petgrave must be mad, he's skating mid ice and is half checked by another player, his momentum topples him over and his legs are shoulder high, as he goes face down to ice, Johnson unfortunately had turned to mid ice at the same time, a totally freak incident.

Not ignorant fella, and a fair question. It isn't mandatory for players over the age of 18 to wear neck guards. They are available and all juniors wear them. Wrist guards are also available for the same reason you're asking about the need for a neck guard to be worn.

Players find neck guards really uncomfortable and restrictive, and choose not to wear them.

I watched and photographed Ice Hockey for over 20 years from the mid 80's until I retired as a pro photographer, I used to make a living from it, I must have attended over 2500 games from internationals at world championships, NHL games in North America, european games and at all sorts of levels in the UK.

I have never witnessed a blade injury to the neck in all that time, occasional cuts to the face or chin from high sticks or being hit by the puck but never a blade. I have a photo library of over 150,000 images, and excluding junior hockey I only remember the odd goalie wearing a neck guard as puck protection more than for a blade.

An NHL goalie, Clint Malarchuk got a similar injury in the late 80's and thankfully survived.

Anyone who thinks that there was any intentional action from Petgrave must be mad, he's skating mid ice and is half checked by another player, his momentum topples him over and his legs are shoulder high, as he goes face down to ice, Johnson unfortunately had turned to mid ice at the same time, a totally freak incident.

Thanks for the reply mate. Much appreciated and happy retirement!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.