Iconic City games attended

Mikejl

Team supported
Ridiculous question
We're a lucky old bunch now, watching City play the best football in years, at the risks of hopefully avoiding a dick measuring competition, I wondered what were the top 5-10 most iconic City games you'd seen live. I saw the Wembley finals of 76 & 81 on TV but nothing beats being there at a milestone game.

For the record mine are:

QPR (h) 3-2 Aguerooo - nuff said
Gillingham (W) 2-2 *I didn't walk out btw - without this win we may never had got the later investment
Rags (a) 6-1 (In the Rag corporate end that day) - The day 'they' woke up & realised we were better
Rags (h) 1-0 Kompany headed the winner & The GPC tried to do a Bus parking job
Charlton (h) 5-1 Promotion following the debacle at Notts County the week before
Rags (h) 5-1 First win over them since around 1980, season ticket back of the North stand watching the scrotes get thrown out
Bury (h) 0-1 The day that led to the GMR phone in where David Makin rang in & announced enough was enough led to the JD takeover
Blackpool (h) 3-1 we'd show everyone that we wouldn't stop attending, first game at home in the 3rd tier, 31,000+ sell out - Gary Mason looked decent!
Chelsea (h) 3-0 The cockroach media sit up & backtrack as we slap Maureen's bus
Aston Villa (h) 4-0 Dzeko scores & we know that the title is ours & watching Yayas marauding run for the 4th epitomised the gulf in class

Blackburn 1-4 city promotion
Norwich 1-6 city
These 2 spring to mind for me, both brilliant day's and also very important. The Norwich game is one of my favourite ever game's to be honest , sunshine, booze, goals, Tevez and most importantly it set us back up for the title run in. .

1. Coventry (H) 0-0 my first city game when I was 6 so I like to think of it as my most iconic as that's what started it all for me.
2. QPR (H) 3-2 a no brainer in my eyes for any City fan, never see a moment quite like that ever again, went through every emotion that day.
3. United (W) 1-0 never got a chance to see City in 99' vs Gillingham at Wembley so against United and to win and take us to our first major cup final in my life time was special.
4. Stoke (W) 1-0 our first major trophy in 35 years and the first in my life time was special to witness.
5. Hamburg (H) 2-1 quarter final of the Europa league and we were 3-1 down on agg, never heard the Etihad so loud for 90 minutes even when all was lost, immense atmosphere.

I've been lucky enough to land tickets for pretty much all our seminal, iconic games since the '81 Cup Final (replay excluded!). Three relegation end of season games (didn't go to West Ham in '87) and four promotion end of season games stick out as especially memorable and symbolise what a colourful 35 years we've had following this club. Wouldn't change it for the world.

1978 Ipswich H 1-2
Kenny Clements broke his leg,the noise was hideous and Deyna made his debut as I did in the Platt Lane seeng City for the first time

1981 Stoke A 1-3
Trevor Francis scored 2 on his debut,thought I'd just seen the messiah,unfortunately the messiah was a crock

1. Coventry (H) 0-0 my first city game when I was 6 so I like to think of it as my most iconic as that's what started it all for me.
2. QPR (H) 3-2 a no brainer in my eyes for any City fan, never see a moment quite like that ever again, went through every emotion that day.
3. United (W) 1-0 never got a chance to see City in 99' vs Gillingham at Wembley so against United and to win and take us to our first major cup final in my life time was special.
4. Stoke (W) 1-0 our first major trophy in 35 years and the first in my life time was special to witness.
5. Hamburg (H) 2-1 quarter final of the Europa league and we were 3-1 down on agg, never heard the Etihad so loud for 90 minutes even when all was lost, immense atmosphere.
Hamburg one is a great shout, funnily enough my first 2 games were 0-0 draws vs Stoke & QPR in the mid 70s surprised I went back!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.