I'd be reluctant to lose Kolarov

manchester blue said:
Andy Morrisons jock strap said:
Didn't sound like he was going when being interviewed by Nicola Macarthy on the bus yesterday although you never really can tell, don't think he is one of the highest paid so we might have to offer him better terms to stay

Better terms for someone who can't defend?

Sorry missed these " "

Bit unfair as if you have been watching him this season that is one area he has really improved from previous seasons, and don't forget he plays on the same side of the pitch as Nasri so he doesn't get the cover

bluemoon risin' said:
Kolarov has done well but if Shaw goes to the rags as expected, then i feel we have lost out on a top 'English' left back.
I agree. I'm a big fan of Kolarov's and under normal circumstances wouldn't be interested in looking for a new left back.

But our FFP predicament means we really need to squeeze another English player into our first-team squad, and preferably one who can be a valued member of the first team itself, and Shaw represents one of the very few options available.

30m for a LB is a hell of a lot tho.

I bet there are young Spanish and Brazilians who are better than Shaw

I'm far more interested in Barkley. He has 'next Gazza'/'next Rooney' written all over him. Everton will no doubt demand even more ridiculous money for him tho

Dubai Blue said:
bluemoon risin' said:
Kolarov has done well but if Shaw goes to the rags as expected, then i feel we have lost out on a top 'English' left back.
I agree. I'm a big fan of Kolarov's and under normal circumstances wouldn't be interested in looking for a new left back.

But our FFP predicament means we really need to squeeze another English player into our first-team squad, and preferably one who can be a valued member of the first team itself, and Shaw represents one of the very few options available.

We have 2 left backs who will do us just nicely for at least another season. 27 million for a 18 year old left back who has had one decent season is ludicrous. This is exactly the reason why we don't have many English players in our squad. We can possibly get Mangala for 30 who is one of the best your defenders in world football, has lots of CL and European experience, international experience. Shaw has had one good season for the saints and yet they want 27 million, no thanks. English players will come through naturally once we see the fruits of the CFA, until then buying the best young English players offers very little value. If anything, id much rather we went for Clyne as an understudy to Zabba.

ElanJo said:
30m for a LB is a hell of a lot tho.

I bet there are young Spanish and Brazilians who are better than Shaw
It's another example of how poorly thought out UEFA's FFP regs (and potential punishments) are. We're being punished for spending too much, but are also being forced to recruit English players, who come at a huge premium, which obviously doesn't help in terms of keeping our costs down. If FFP didn't exist we wouldn't even be considering spending that kind of money on a left back.

Kolarov can't defend. Where has this tosh come from. He gets caught forward sometimes, but when he's
back defending he does the job. Was our only player to beat Carroll in the air every time on Sunday.
Not saying he's absolute world class, but he's a DAMN sight better than a lot on here give him credit for.

willipp said:
Dubai Blue said:
bluemoon risin' said:

We have 2 left backs who will do us just nicely for at least another season. 27 million for a 18 year old left back who has had one decent season is ludicrous. This is exactly the reason why we don't have many English players in our squad. We can possibly get Mangala for 30 who is one of the best your defenders in world football, has lots of CL and European experience, international experience. Shaw has had one good season for the saints and yet they want 27 million, no thanks. English players will come through naturally once we see the fruits of the CFA, until then buying the best young English players offers very little value. If anything, id much rather we went for Clyne as an understudy to Zabba.
I agree with you completely. But a potential 21-man CL squad with 8 homegrown players leaves us in a bit of a predicament. Our priorities lie elsewhere though, so I can't see the club agreeing to 27m for a position that we're covered in. But the CL could well be a struggle next season if that punishment comes through. No skin off my nose but the club seems obsessed with that competition.

prestonibbo_mcfc said:
Kolarov can't defend. Where has this tosh come from. He gets caught forward sometimes, but when he's
back defending he does the job. Was our only player to beat Carroll in the air every time on Sunday.
Not saying he's absolute world class, but he's a DAMN sight better than a lot on here give him credit for.

I no mate unfortunately some people spend to much time listening to media pundits, of course in a team like City our full backs will be exposed a lot of the time because we play with wide midfielders who do not always track back unless Milner plays in which case Zabba can bomb forward with abandon, where as Kolarov plays with Nasri on his side and whilst Sam is a great player he doesn't always cover Alex's when he pushes up and leaves him one on one with the opposition, I think most teams in Europe would love kolarov

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.