If Celtic and Rangers are so big.. how come they only have 1M and 500k instagram followers?

The simple answer is that they're not particularly big.

But from my trips to Glasgow I can see how, if you grow up in the area, you might assume they're two of the biggest clubs in the world.
They used to be huge in the 60s and 70s in places like North America and Australia, essentially anywhere with big ex-pat Irish and Scottish communities but those days are over. In Ireland these days (and everywhere else) Premier League clubs are dominant especially the usual suspects of LFC and MUFC. The world has changed and not many people attend church any more, even in Ireland, so the religious loyalty (bigotry?) is also not as strong. They still have fantastic hard-core match-going support though. As someone who has spent a lot of time in the USA over the years I am amazed at the explosion of interest in football (soccer?) over there. The PL (and increasingly MLS) is huge there with lots of English clubs well supported...even little old City.

The simple answer is that they're not particularly big.

But from my trips to Glasgow I can see how, if you grow up in the area, you might assume they're two of the biggest clubs in the world.
That is an interesting insight into the allusion of perception. The old argument about the Glasgow clubs joining England’s top tier, which goes way back before the Premier League but was amplified by the success of the league’s formation in 1992, was about the so called support beyond the boundaries of Hadrian’s Wall. Support which they felt was by stoked by the catholic protestant links. It was clearly wrong then and is even more wrong now and whilst I give little credence to the value of of insta-twit-book followers, the numbers give you acumen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.