If Given goes?

Hennessey if he's willing to be a #2 keeper, think he might count as homegrown too as he was with us as a kid.

MCC said:
I think we need someone with experience rather than a rookie. Imagine if Hart gets injured and is out for a month or two.

I agree, I reckon we should go for someone like Sorenson, he probably won't play much at Stoke with Begovic as their number one and I'd like to think he'd rather be on our bench with the potential for Champions League football if Hart gets injured.

There are better keepers out there than Sorenson but the trouble is keeping them happy. Shay Given wants to leave for first team football, so its about finding the balance between getting a good squad keeper and someone with experience to step in when is needed. I can see the merrits of signing another young keeper, but if Hart gets injured and a young keeper is thrown in at the deep end the last thing we need to deal with is their nerves.

i say go with experience.

possible quality 2nd choice keepers

hanneman, sorenson , maik taylor, craig gordon

hhhmmm maybe not gordon

Lonergan, cudicini or hahnemann would be my choices but in all honesty given dicks on all of these guy's

dont think we should spent anything on a guy who wont be playing that much so it got to be Stijnen or Hahnemann for me both former internationals with plenty of experience!

Don't forget we've got David González Giraldo out on loan at Aberdeen. He was on loan at Leeds last season and was only 3rd choice. 29 years old.

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gonz%C3%A1lez_Giraldo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gonz ... ez_Giraldo</a>
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Players/Goalkeepers/David-Gonzalez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Players/Goalkeepe ... d-Gonzalez</a>

Is he any good??

Don't think there's much wrong with Stuart Taylor as backup to Hart. we were lucky to have Given as 2nd choice last season

We need to relieve Gunnar Nielsen of his duties once he's back fit again, which will be early next year hopefully. You can't keep a goalkeeper who keeps picking up injuries.

Anyone coming through from EDS?

I think we have to except that having Given as a second option is extremely luckily and whoever we would replace them with would be almost certainly a step down. This is what happens when you have a fantastic yet very young keeper :p

MC ID said:
I think we have to except that having Given as a second option is extremely luckily and whoever we would replace them with would be almost certainly a step down. This is what happens when you have a fantastic yet very young keeper :p

This.

When will people realize that we're not going to get the likes of Craig Gordon, Hahnemann, Cuddicini, they're all "too good" to sit on the bench, in their minds anyway. All of them could find first team football, and no one with an sort of ambition, or who is really any good at all, will come here. If Mancini doesn't give Given a fair go at getting the no.1 spot, they all know that they wont have a chance.
In reality, the best we can hope for is good enough, and pray that Hart doesn't get injured. And that's what you get for Mancini's inability to rotate his squad when it comes to the keepers spot. For me I don't think Given ever had a fair shot, and Hart's age won it for him. And no, it's not about not being able to do it, that it messes up the squad. Baconface did it and does it well. And his no.2 isn't anywhere as good as our lad. It was bad management.

No decent keeper in their right mind will come here. Simple as. And we'll have to accept that.
They will either be too young and inexperienced, but any decent young lad isn't going to come here because Hart's only 24.
And any half decent experienced keeper wont come here for the same reason, nobody wants to come and sit on the bench.

And it's obvious from Mancini's behavior that he's not going to give any one else a chance at winning the no.1 spot.
I think we either need to aim high and actually buy a player to COMPETE with Hart, who has a realistic chance of winning the no.1 spot, (or convince Given that he has a real chance) or accept the fact that we will be settling for a shit cover, or one who has no ambition.

So I guess it comes down to how much we want Hart as no.1. Do we buy to keep him happy and risk having a poor cover if he's injured or drops his for again. Or do we buy high, and actually let them compete, or let Shay genuinely compete with him. But I doubt that'll happen, Shay's clearly had enough, and is leaving, though it's a bit of a waste because he doesn't seem to want to.
Given sat on the bench and acted like a pro for the season, he didn't moan, he kept his head down. There'd be no harm if Hart had to do the same this season if it meant that we had to buy a top class keeper. Because I'm really not liking the alternative option.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.