If we had our own version of FC United...

Prestwich_Blue said:
To ask a slightly different question, what if City had gone into administration in Summer 2008 and someone had done an MK Dons on us, moving us to somewhere like Stafford. Would it still be City and would you still support them?

A difficult one, but no, I don't think I would be able to support some new phoenix club arising from the ashes of Manchester City, because to me it would be a brand new entity miles away that I would have no affinity with whatsoever, in the same way as I can't find it within me to give a toss about Melbourne and that American 'franchise' thingummy.
Personally, I found the move away from Maine Road painful enough, as there were so many memories, both good and (mostly), bad, including going to my first game with my late father at the age of three, but at least we stayed in the city, and we were the same club.
I'd probably still look out for their results, and want them to win because of their City affiliation, but I could never feel the same about them as I do about the real club.

chris85mcfc said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
To ask a slightly different question, what if City had gone into administration in Summer 2008 and someone had done an MK Dons on us, moving us to somewhere like Stafford. Would it still be City and would you still support them?

Thats an incredibly different question PB :)
Perhaps I should have asked it slightly differently. If that had happened and some of us fans had set up FC Manchester City, as Wimbledon fans set up FC Wimbledon, would that new club still be "City"?

Prestwich_Blue said:
chris85mcfc said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Perhaps I should have asked it slightly differently. If that had happened and some of us fans had set up FC Manchester City, as Wimbledon fans set up FC Wimbledon, would that new club still be "City"?

It's hard to imagine what id feel like until the situation happened. Following your club in the depths of the football league is bearable because its your club and you follow them no matter what. Following a new club set up by fans still wouldn't feel right for me, or thats how i feel thinking about it now anyway.

For me its all about building memories as the years go by, most people went to their first game before they were 10, so over the years you see the club progress or regress (mainly regress!!) but you stay with them no matter what. But to start a fresh with a club that i have no memories with would be like supporting a new club even tho it was run by City fans. For me it just wouldn't feel right and i hope the day never comes where I have to make that kind of decision.

Prestwich_Blue said:
chris85mcfc said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

yes and a big yes at that,football clubs are the fans nothing more,if city had gone bump in 2008 then I would imagine league 2 or whatever league the new city would be in would be seeing record crowds of over 20,000 imo,and it would be fucking awesome,smoking in the toilets,pissing in the sinks and no stewards,fucking mayhem oh and no shield for our badge

Prestwich_Blue said:
That should be a thread in itself PB.

Not a chance. I go and watch Bury when City are away and aren't on telly but I couldn't watch a FC City as it were, just don't see the point.

I would never not support City.
And I certainly wouldn't watch FC Fucking Utd through choice, I'd rather scratch my own eyes out.
Fucking ridiculous thread.

if anything happened to city my football life is over.

only city are worth the pain, the money, time and effort.

only city can give me unbridled joy, unknown pride and incredible feeling of belonging.

de niro said:
if anything happened to city my football life is over.

only city are worth the pain, the money, time and effort.

only city can give me unbridled joy, unknown pride and incredible feeling of belonging.

Spotty bollock Bill

Prestwich_Blue said:
chris85mcfc said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

If City were moved away from Manchester or its environs to a completely different town or City and an FC Manchester City were formed, then I'd feel that, yes, the new club would be the 'real' Manchester City and I'd support it. Obviously, that's a completely different situation from FC United, however.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.