If we went out at the group stage.

It depends. We could be REALLY unlucky not to go through or it could just be a disaster.

casualdeyna said:
Eastlands90 said:
No. For 300 mil pounds you'd expect to go far in Europe as well as here in England. If Tottenham could reach the last 8, we can do better. We should succeed in Europe AND in England, not either one.

Just because Spurs did well last season doesn't mean anything for us this season, it's the hardest club tournament in world football and we are in one of the hardest groups, getting knocked out at the group stage would be no disgrace. We can't just expect to rock up and p*ss it because Spurs had a good run last season.

Spurs's progress isn't relevant, but the fact that we have one of the top two teams in England, I would argue the best, is.

We are easily good enough to progress beyond the group stage and not doing so would be a disappointment. An attitude that we are lucky to be there and should just enjoy it won't wash in Abu Dhabi in my opinion.

Eastlands90 said:
No. For 300 mil pounds you'd expect to go far in Europe as well as here in England. If Tottenham could reach the last 8, we can do better. We should succeed in Europe AND in England, not either one.
As we are constantly reminded from all corners, spending money doesn't guarantee success.
Tottenham did well last year but they also spent a lot of money putting together a team of Internationals - Spurs didn't get to the Quarters with a team of low priced journeymen as the tabloids would have you believe.

Yes, you would expect a return on the investment but more than anything, in a Cup competition you need luck. We knew it wouldn't be easy and we're in the hardest group. If we get through and stay away from the big hitters we could get to the latter stages. If we don't, It's hardly a failure.

I love your optimism but we need to reign ourselves in at times and remember that we as a club, a group of players and fans, are very new to this.

casualdeyna said:
Eastlands90 said:

Just because Spurs did well last season doesn't mean anything for us this season, it's the hardest club tournament in world football and we are in one of the hardest groups, getting knocked out at the group stage would be no disgrace. We can't just expect to rock up and p*ss it because Spurs had a good run last season.

Yes, but we didn't do well in the Europa last season either. Of course the league title would be nice, but to be a 'big' club we have to do well domestically as well as in Europe.<br /><br />-- Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:56 pm --<br /><br />
Blue-Eyes said:
Eastlands90 said:
As we are constantly reminded from all corners, spending money doesn't guarantee success.
Tottenham did well last year but they also spent a lot of money putting together a team of Internationals - Spurs didn't get to the Quarters with a team of low priced journeymen as the tabloids would have you believe.

Yes, you would expect a return on the investment but more than anything, in a Cup competition you need luck. We knew it wouldn't be easy and we're in the hardest group. If we get through and stay away from the big hitters we could get to the latter stages. If we don't, It's hardly a failure.

I love your optimism but we need to reign ourselves in at times and remember that we as a club, a group of players and fans, are very new to this.

Very true. But of course as one of the best teams in England, we should do well in Europe

Blue-Eyes said:

I bet that in terms of European and International football we have one of the most experienced squads in the competition.

As I said above, an attitude that we are the Swansea of the tournament is a pre-made excuse. It's very important we do well in this competition. I agree, when it gets to knockout you can't legislate for a bad draw or bad luck. But we should be getting out of the group stages.

Aris, Poznan and Kiev away last year are reminders of why we could struggle to get past the group stage.

Before Napoli I was 80% confident now I would say 50/50. Lose in Munich and the pressure is ramped up

I dont think it would be the end of the world and cant see Mancini being under toomuch pressure unless we have slipped in the league.

I'd be disappointed but it'd be a mistake to sack Roberto if he came up empty handed, even in all competitions, this year. It'd be annoying if we became the Chelsea of the North if we go a year without a trophy and get rid of anything that moves.

Andouble said:
I'd be disappointed but it'd be a mistake to sack Roberto if he came up empty handed, even in all competitions, this year. It'd be annoying if we became the Chelsea of the North if we go a year without a trophy and get rid of anything that moves.
One thing our owner and his team seem to have done very well is look at Chelsea and learn what works and what doesn't from them. If they let Mancini go, which is unlikely if we keep our PL form, then it will be with a plan in place.

i wouldnt sack him but i think it would be a disgrace if we didnt qualify and napoli did,there just as new to this as we are and dont have the better players and havent spent close to what we have.

were new to this as a club but not in terms of player experience we arent.

we need to qualify from the group,anything after that is a bonus imo

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.