Ilkay Gundogan - 2016/17 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Him and sane look a bit sluggish at the mo but they will no doubt get a good run out midweek to boost their confidence

I think "way off the pace at the moment" is a bit harsh. I think he's been excellent up until today. He did struggle today, the game was going on around him a bit. He's clearly a top player but it's going to be an interesting conundurm because I don't think it's possible to get him, Dinho, Silva and Kev in to the same line up without one of them playing out of position.
I don't think it's harsh whatsoever.

Of course a player as good as him is going to have some great moments but his off the ball movement is practically zero, won't take him long to get going but I think he's got an element of fear still.

Think he was actually much improved in the second half before he was substituted. De Bruyne's movement between the lines once deployed centrally opened up more space for us and gave Gündy more options with the ball.

I do think Pep was right to bring Fernando on at that point and allow Fernandinho to press Swansea higher up the pitch, especially with their midfielders (who were excellent first half) tiring.

Such a lovely player to watch we look like creating chances everytime he gets the ball. Needs to be a bit more ruthless in front of goal though.

I don't think it's harsh whatsoever.

Of course a player as good as him is going to have some great moments but his off the ball movement is practically zero, won't take him long to get going but I think he's got an element of fear still.

It's all about opinions. I do think he looked off the pace today but I thought he was excellent in his other two games. Not at the peak of his powers, but certainly not "way" off the pace.

I personally prefer Silva and De Bruyne as the two number 8s though from what I've seen. Their movement off the ball and quality on it is just too much for teams to cope with.

Was impressed by how composed he seemed on the ball. Turns, spins, all looked very easy for him. It's obvious he's not up to 100% yet but when he is he will truly be a midfield maestro for us.

To be fair he's just come back from a major knee injury and has missed God knows how much training and playing time. If he had zero lack of movement off the ball I'm sure Pep and his team will notice

His footwork is spot on. The close control and the ability to use both feet in tight spaces is perfect for us.

Once he gets used to his teammates I've no doubt he will be at the level he was a couple of years ago with Dortmund before his injury.

I've always known he has these qualities in abundance GL, what has surprised me a little is his ability to control awkward, bouncing spinning balls dead in an instant, and in very tight situations, wasn't at the top of his game today for whatever reason, but still a great effort.

For someone who has been injured and done little preseason training he has hit the ground running

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.