Ilkay Gundogan - 2016/17 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Struggling to see what he adds at the minute. Don't think he improves us offensively, and he's practically none existent in defensive situations.

Starting to worry that he is like Nasri was. Looked a world beater when we were a couple of goals up against a weaker side, but struggled when it came to the crunch in the big games.

Got to remember that he hasn't had a pre-season, but he's been disappointing so far.

He was MOTM against Barcelona, the biggest game the club's been in since he arrived.

He wasn't great against Chelsea but I'm absolutely amazed at some of the posts in this thread over the last couple of pages. Never shown anything? What? Only a week ago people were panicking because he'd been rested for a single game.

Our best performances this season were without him with Fernandinho, Silva & Kdb as midfielders and Sterling, Aguero & Nolito upfront.

Yeah we were shocking against Barcelona at the Etihad, and this fraud couldn't even score a fucking hattrick!

Also, conveniently missed out the West Brom game where he got another two and we actually managed to keep a clean sheet.

He was a passenger on Saturday but if blues are looking for their new favourite scapegoat then they need to look elsewhere because Gundogan is one of our most talented players and he will be phenomenal once fully settled.

Also, conveniently missed out the West Brom game where he got another two and we actually managed to keep a clean sheet.

He was a passenger on Saturday but if blues are looking for their new favourite scapegoat then they need to look elsewhere because Gundogan is one of our most talented players and he will be phenomenal once fully settled.

Hardly scapegoating. He was invisible when we were dominating. We've called out at least 5 or 6 other team members consistently this season who have been garbage and this lad isn't impressing some over the course of his games. He may well turn it around, but this forum remains and there are talking points day in, day out, and currently he needs to add consistency to his few decent games in between annonymity; hence the points being raised.

Hardly scapegoating. He was invisible when we were dominating. We've called out at least 5 or 6 other team members consistently this season who have been garbage and this lad isn't impressing some over the course of his games. He may well turn it around, but this forum remains and there are talking points day in, day out, and currently he needs to add consistency to his few decent games in between annonymity; hence the points being raised.
He wasn't exactly invisible either though admittedly I'd want more from him when we enjoy so much of the possession. But still, he was involved in that Kante incident which never really got replayed but looked like a possible penalty. He played a nice first time pass in our most beautiful attack which ended with the infamous De Bruyne miss, and he attacked the free space in their area brilliantly, only to not find anyone in the box and as our luck went, that bad cross was eventually the start of their winning counter...

He should make more out of his presence, but I find this thread a massive overreaction after a game which we dominated for most of the time.

Debate all day long, that's why I went from lurking to joining the forum in the first place.

And, although I pretty much agree with your points, some of the posts correlating our form dropping with him getting back from injury have a whiff of aimless finger pointing especially when you consider how vital he has been to some of our best performances.

He's had some good games and some bad games so far and the same can be said about the rest of the squad without implying that his introduction to the team has been a defining factor for the downturn based solely off coincidence.

something about the number 8 shirt.....Nasri and now Gundogan...Brilliant players, but I always think they can do more. Go hiding for 20 minutes come up with a moment of brilliance and then disappear again... I havent seen either of them run a game for 90 mins yet. I really thought Gundogan would want the ball more and run things (bit like Modric). I actually think Aleix Garcia makes more of a statement of wanting the ball. Hope Im wrong and hes just finding his feet after injury and Im not saying hes playing bad, I just think he can offer so much more. (like I did with Nasri)

Debate all day long, that's why I went from lurking to joining the forum in the first place.

And, although I pretty much agree with your points, some of the posts correlating our form dropping with him getting back from injury have a whiff of aimless finger pointing especially when you consider how vital he has been to some of our best performances.

He's had some good games and some bad games so far and the same can be said about the rest of the squad without implying that his introduction to the team has been a defining factor for the downturn based solely off coincidence.

Fair enough, I'll agree his presence in the team isn't the reason for us not performing well and that is an overreaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.