Ilkay Gundogan - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which criticism do you think is unfair ?

I think more the overall level of criticism directed at him. I don't think he was spectacular by any means but the whole team was a bit rusty today, and the midfield in general I thought was subpar. Let me put it this way, I think Mahrez, Mendy, Ederson (poor distribution), Bernardo (minus the goal), and Fern (bracing for some hate there) put in similar quality games but Gundogan seems to be getting the brunt of it.

Gundogan had one awful giveaway at the edge of the Arsenal box, and no redeeming moments (like the Bernardo goal/Mendy assist) so I think his performance is being viewed more negative then it actually was.

Won the ball back well high up the pitch but his use of the ball, particularly at potentially key moments, was poor.

Poor is a relative term. I'm measuring him against De Bruyne and the Silvas, but they're his competition.
He was poor period. :(

I think more the overall level of criticism directed at him. I don't think he was spectacular by any means but the whole team was a bit rusty today, and the midfield in general I thought was subpar. Let me put it this way, I think Mahrez, Mendy, Ederson (poor distribution), Bernardo (minus the goal), and Fern (bracing for some hate there) put in similar quality games but Gundogan seems to be getting the brunt of it.

Gundogan had one awful giveaway at the edge of the Arsenal box, and no redeeming moments (like the Bernardo goal/Mendy assist) so I think his performance is being viewed more negative then it actually was.

Well I've already mentioned Ederson & Mendy elsewhere, but the difference between Bernardo & Fern's efforts compared to Gundogan is the amount of quick work they did imo. They were fantastic at fucking up Arsenal's game & Fern in particular rescued the defenders on several occasions against pacey opponents.

Gundogan wasn't very good without the ball on the whole imo but wasn't great on the ball either & arguably spoiled two great goal chances. He did well to start the move for the 2nd goal but as we are one of the best teams in the world, I ak asking a legitimate question as to whether he is the right player for the job & whether he is going to improve this season as I hoped he might.

Even taking early season into account, I was expecting a lot more from him today.

hes as fit as the other players,it really looks like your after gundo,fuck knows why ,HE PLAYS FOR MANCHESTER CITY

Some supporters always need a whipping boy , the fact we have probably got the strongest squad in european football the whipping boys at least are now much better quality , a current German international and a member of the 2013 european team of the year , Bundesliga winner and Champs league finalist , and to think we used to give Richard Edghill grief :)

Some supporters always need a whipping boy

I disagree.I think some supporters just have an ability to see things without the need to wear the blue tinted specs.

Its no coincidence that your idea of a whipping boy is my idea of a weak link.

Gundogan was good in the Community shield,today he was very poor.

Well I've already mentioned Ederson & Mendy elsewhere, but the difference between Bernardo & Fern's efforts compared to Gundogan is the amount of quick work they did imo. They were fantastic at fucking up Arsenal's game & Fern in particular rescued the defenders on several occasions against pacey opponents.

Gundogan wasn't very good without the ball on the whole imo but wasn't great on the ball either & arguably spoiled two great goal chances. He did well to start the move for the 2nd goal but as we are one of the best teams in the world, I ak asking a legitimate question as to whether he is the right player for the job & whether he is going to improve this season as I hoped he might.

Even taking early season into account, I was expecting a lot more from him today.

I don't disagree with any of that, and I do think it's a fair question to ask whether he's (Gundogan that is) at the level we need him to be. He has flashed quality but his consistency is just not where it needs to be which I think is the most frustrating thing about him. I was willing to give him somewhat of a pass last year because an ACL injury can really be a 2 year recovery, but he does need to step it up this year. I will say that Pep seems to love him, and I trust his opinion over mine.

For Fern in particular, I thought some of his rescuing became necessary due to positioning errors and misplaced passes on his part, but I'd need to rewatch. I'll be the first to admit I'm far from a tactical genius and not always great at determining who's in/out of position. Bernardo I thought started poorly but grew into the game.

I don't disagree with any of that, and I do think it's a fair question to ask whether he's (Gundogan that is) at the level we need him to be. He has flashed quality but his consistency is just not where it needs to be which I think is the most frustrating thing about him. I was willing to give him somewhat of a pass last year because an ACL injury can really be a 2 year recovery, but he does need to step it up this year. I will say that Pep seems to love him, and I trust his opinion over mine.

For Fern in particular, I thought some of his rescuing became necessary due to positioning errors and misplaced passes on his part, but I'd need to rewatch. I'll be the first to admit I'm far from a tactical genius and not always great at determining who's in/out of position. Bernardo I thought started poorly but grew into the game.

It might be some of Fern's rescue situations were self inflicted but also he had to cover others mistakes & did it expertly.

A lot of players were undrcooked today & it was especially a great win because of that imo.

My worry is that possibly whilst the others all go up a huge level, Gundogan remains the same fill in player, rather than the top notch one he was at Dortmund.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.