Ilkay Gundogan - 2019/20 Performances

• Thread starter Deleted member 81382
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So shit it’s untrue. Some people get sick of hearing me say it, but he’s wank. He hides from the ball, my dead granny is faster than him, he never tackles. Just gash.

1 half decent performance every 10 games and loads on here think that’s worthy of defending him.

Think you have made a mistake, shouldn't this be on the Sterling thread !? Oh yeah and you forgot to mention the three great chances missed YET again, the real reason we lost the game !!

He tried his best to organize our game playing forward but when 6 players have their boots on the wrong foot what would you expect.

He made a great intervention in our box but 1 horrific pass in the build up.

But he was not as nervous and shattered like Raheem, KDB, Laporte, Mahrez, Mendy, Walker (1st half) and even Ederson was frozen in many situations where he normally would act free and aggressive.

We could go through every single player, but I think the problem lies in the whole team attitude.
When so many players are going into a semi without any confidence and aggression this happens.

When our fullbacks and wingers are utter bullshite what could the rest do?
I would like to ask Pep why that can happen and what we can do to change these displays.
What's the plan if games go completely wrong. How's communication? Didn't see anything.

Last edited:
I haven't read all of the other comments but I wanted to counter and support a stat someone raised about "our record this season with Gundogan starting is 53% while its 80% when he doesnt start."

That is a mostly meaningless stat out of context that's red meat to all his detractors.

There are many other variables to consider....HOWEVER....

One cannot deny Gundo did not have his best season and we need better from him.

WhoScored.com says he had a 6.70 rating for the PL in 20 starts and 10 off the bench. That's ranked 17th for the entire team. That is below Angelino, Otamendi and Mendy.

That's poor for a potential starting player on a top club. He had 1 assist and 2 goals. Last season he was given MOTM 2 times. This? None. He fared far better in CL with their average of 7.33 in 7 appearances.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/77464 ... 3%BCndogan

Advanced Stats

https://understat.com/player/314

His xA per 90 minutes dropped from last season to .13 from .21 despite his xA being better than the actual output which is still above average.

However, it's worthy to note that what some of us who defend Gundo constantly bring up to defend him is also supported by the stats.

The graph shows how his skill in xBuildup per 90 min "build up play" and xChain per 90min (which is xG that came from possessions he was involved with) is evident.

His xBuildup is .68 per 90 compared to the average of .23 per 90.
His xChain per 90 was .86 to the average of .34

He actually improved slightly compared to 2018-19 in both xBuildup and xChain.

Even though his assists dropped his xBuildup stats remain amongst the best in the league.

The contention of some who defend him is that build up play comes from his ball retention skills but we don't often see so clearly and is underrated by the average eye test compared to those who contend it as vital to success.

Yaya was a master of it along with Silva and was why we had so many attacking situations.

Now both are gone. Gundo is up there along with Foden and Bernardo who both have a ridiculous first touch, but more more rapidly and don't slow the play down as much when needed.

Rodri is the best statistically, and Kev up there as well with Dinho.

Oddly enough Silva's lack of respect for much of his City career was similarly maligned by the reasons we slate Gundo. Silva's turns and other attributes have made him loved, but we may need Gundo next season as a similar protector of the ball.

As some have said, playing Gundo with Rodri and I also contend Silva, plus our frantic defenders led all of their weaknesses to become more glaring than they should.

All of those three lack pace that clearly caused us all sorts of problems against a lot of opposition when we are already a side vulnerable to counter attacks given how high of a line we have and intent to attack.

He'll play more at the 6 next year and we will have more pace and stability in the back line. With that I suspect you will find his skills more useful.

Remember, his ball retention skills is one of the reasons he almost always plays against teams that press high.

Last edited:
For me, he has to start. This is the type of game he excels at. He can control the game from a deep lying position without his lack of pace being a tremendous burden.

So shit it’s untrue. Some people get sick of hearing me say it, but he’s wank. He hides from the ball, my dead granny is faster than him, he never tackles. Just gash.

1 half decent performance every 10 games and loads on here think that’s worthy of defending him.

Wrong hobby mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.