Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if you mean me, but I said exactly what others are saying now - that he will be good for a year, or two. Then likely after that he will start to decline and go to finish his career elsewhere.

It seems City agree with me too, hence the short-term deal.
You’ve not been on here long enough to be added into that group mate.
We’ve got a few long term miserable fuckers who take no delight in anything.
You’re neutral as well not being a blue so don’t count. :-)

I don't know if you mean me, but I said exactly what others are saying now - that he will be good for a year, or two. Then likely after that he will start to decline and go to finish his career elsewhere.

The short term contract is clearly the best option for both parties imo.

It gives the player a natural and planned time to finally end his playing time in the PL in order to pursue other options should he wish. And if it works successfully he can learn from spending time with City's coaching team,

I also do not believe that him being back at City blocks opportunities for younger players, although I can see that maybe Nunes future is affected.

I think it's nailed on he'll be offered a coaching role and I think he'll gladly take it. He ain't coming back for one season to go and finish his career elsewhere.

How can I sell it to you?

We need someone who can take the strain off Rodri and De Bruyne this season and Gundo's dependable and available on a free transfer. It makes complete sense. He won't have been signed thinking he's going to get regular minutes - this is Foden's team now and the likes of Kovacic and McAtee are going to have bigger roles in the future.

This is like us signing David Pizzaro or Frank Lampard back in the day, only we've signed a better player than Pizarro - with a bigger sentimental attachment to the club and fans than Lampard - who already understands what Pep wants. I normally say "don't go back" and I'd probably be against this if we were planning on paying a fee, but we're not.

Above all, though, football does have room for sentimentality and nostalgia, no matter how many people say it's a ruthless sport. Aside from what Gundo will bring to the team, at least now we'll get to give him a proper goodbye. He's a treble-winning captain and the club buggered up his chance to go off into the sunset with a wave - now we can put that right.

We've won everything there is to win in the game so I'm not really after trophies this season. I just want fun and good vibes. Doku and Savinho are fun, Lewis, Bobb, and McAtee are good vibes, and Gundogan coming back to share minutes with De Bruyne while Foden is given the reigns is such a sweet passing of the torch ceremony that I might cry.

Lovely stuff.

I'd add that Gundo has to be a prime candidate to graduate to being manager of this great club one day so if we get him back now, his next step can be joining the coaching staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.