Ilkay Gundogan - Done Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're just being pedantic now and don't actually have a point at all

Neither you or I know what we have planned going into next season, so it's completely hypothetical to talk about future planning

We have the best academy in the world, so there is no better club in world football setup better to benefit from future planning

My point was clear & factual regarding the ages of our 6s - which isn't even our preference considering last year we didn't offer Gundogan 2 years, & seen in our failed attempts to sign younger midfielders. Re-signing is making the best of the situation but it's purely short term. You attempted to turn it into 'which team has better options' which I have no interest in.

Think I'm in the camp where I am happy enough for Gundo to come back (low risk deal) but also disappointed that we've not taken meaningful steps to address the position for the future. Unless we really believe Nunes can have a breakout season, and there's been no indication we believe that, our 6 options are getting on. By June next year our midfield options for 6 will be Rodri 29, Kovacic 31, Gundogan 34.
And O'Reilly - 19.

Hopefully.
Yeah like I said earlier in the thread, my main reservations would have been him coming into the twilight of his career and a weird feeling I have that players returning to previous clubs don't seem to do as well.

But as a player, and on a short-term contract i.e. 1 or 2 years, he still has it in him to be excellent. He's clearly one of the best midfielders in the world still.

A big part of his game is his intelligent runs though and you wonder if he will be able to make so many as he gets older. But in general he'd obviously be a big addition to your squad.
I know they say you should never go back; Big Mal and Howard Kendall are testament to that, but Dennis, King of all Geordies and SWP didn’t do too badly in their second spell with us.

And with Ilkay, it’s only been a year; there’s hardly anybody in this squad that he won’t know, Nunes and Savinho excepted.

You are on the wrong football forum if you can’t take a bit of light sarcasm.
Didn't say I couldn't take it - just that there was no need for it :)

If I couldn't take it I would have responded much more angrily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.