impressed with Spurs turnout today

Hard not to be impressed with Spurs following in recent times. Great efffort at Bolton, huge followings at both Leeds and Birmingham.

The facts are we took more away in the 2nd division than we do now. The conclusion is that a number of our supporters enjoyed being shit as it was fashionable to 'say you went'. It will be exactly the same at Leeds now.

If we are successful I can see this having very little effect on what we take away.

Agree with the sensible posters in the thread.
Spurs are a club with a much bigger fan base than us - it's unarguable. Therefore their away followings are also better than ours. No doubt the recession has had an affect on us as well.
Denying it and spouting abuse at Spurs posters just makes you look silly.

Everton is a weird one though, I'd say our fanbase is about the same so no obvious reason they'd take more away than us. Not sure they definitely do but it seems so when I see their ends on TV - not massively different though.

We've had it on here before but as per 'fathelens....' posts - lots of moaning about getting tix etc but nearly every away goes on open sale - so I'm not convinced people are really arsed about going.
Anyone who does most aways will tell you it's the same faces every week - hardcore of about 1,200-1,500 I'd say.

We had more than that 5-10 years ago but our fanbase has aged and Utd's success has fucked out support among the under 30's

IMO it is not just down to the ''fan base''.
Everton,spurs, liverpool or them in trafford.
Spurs have history, good history with the FA cup. Their fans love it and the club love it.
Cause they have won it more times than most clubs and they tend to stay in the cup longer than most.
Thats why, IMO, they get a good following in the FA cup.

texas pete said:
The facts are we took more away in the 2nd division than we do now. The conclusion is that a number of our supporters enjoyed being shit as it was fashionable to 'say you went'..

What a load of fucking crap. I went to Tranmere with my lad when Frank Clark was the manager, we took 7,000 for a meaningless game. Nothing to do with being 'fashionable'. You go for a good day out and support the team regardless of what division they are in. Finance and acquiring tickets makes a difference nowadays.

Immaculate Pasta said:
183sash said:
you would say teams like Spurs and say Everton are roughly the same size clubs as us,they both seem to take impressive away followings - do they do anything different to us - i couldnt see us take as many as spurs took today , to a match in London thats on telly.

They are both bigger clubs than us.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Very funny.

Sky Blue said:
texas pete said:
The facts are we took more away in the 2nd division than we do now. The conclusion is that a number of our supporters enjoyed being shit as it was fashionable to 'say you went'..

What a load of fucking crap. I went to Tranmere with my lad when Frank Clark was the manager, we took 7,000 for a meaningless game. Nothing to do with being 'fashionable'. You go for a good day out and support the team regardless of what division they are in. Finance and acquiring tickets makes a difference nowadays.

Did you even read my post ???

I said we took more away back then, I know because I was there. As for now let's take an equivalent away as Tranmere was back in the day, Wigan. Granted we sold out this year but previous years we hadn't. I agree with you that finance DOES have an impact but to what level it is impossible to say.

Regarding your comment that 'acquiring tickets' makes a difference this is absolute nonsense. All but a handful of games for this season have gone to general, this is fact so how can you say acquiring tickets is a reason ?

texas pete said:
Sky Blue said:

I said we took more away back then, I know because I was there. As for now let's take an equivalent away as Tranmere was back in the day, Wigan. Granted we sold out this year but previous years we hadn't. I agree with you that finance DOES have an impact but to what level it is impossible to say.

Regarding your comment that 'acquiring tickets' makes a difference this is absolute nonsense. All but a handful of games for this season have gone to general, this is fact so how can you say acquiring tickets is a reason ?

I

Yeah and your post history and I suspect you are a WUM as a few others have accused you of. You seem to have a bit of an obsession with our attendances......Still laughing at the "fashionable" comment. Ta ra.

Sky Blue said:
texas pete said:

I

Yeah and your post history and I suspect you are a WUM as a few others have accused you of. You seem to have a bit of an obsession with our attendances......Still laughing at the "fashionable" comment. Ta ra.

Well researched.

Why don't you do some research on 'acquiring tickets'. You will see it is not at all difficult...

fallowfield said:
Spurs are a club with a much bigger fan base than us - it's unarguable. Therefore their away followings are also better than ours. No doubt the recession has had an affect on us as well.

Everton is a weird one though, I'd say our fanbase is about the same so no obvious reason they'd take more away than us. Not sure they definitely do but it seems so when I see their ends on TV - not massively different though.

We've had it on here before but as per 'fathelens....' posts - lots of moaning about getting tix etc but nearly every away goes on open sale - so I'm not convinced people are really arsed about going.
Anyone who does most aways will tell you it's the same faces every week - hardcore of about 1,200-1,500 I'd say.

We had more than that 5-10 years ago but our fanbase has aged and Utd's success has fucked out support among the under 30's

Best post by far. Even with London money Spurs will probably fill the 60k (?) new stadium. Also, there's a lot of truth in that last sentence which is very sad but if we start winning some trophies I'm sure we'll see a few City shirts on the playground in the next few years.

citymad said:
fallowfield said:

Best post by far. Even with London money Spurs will probably fill the 60k (?) new stadium. Also, there's a lot of truth in that last sentence which is very sad but if we start winning some trophies I'm sure we'll see a few City shirts on the playground in the next few years.

As some have already pointed out Spurs have a history in the cup dating back many years and in fairness have always been considered a cup team. Unfortunately due to our lack of success City fans see the cup as an extra expense as for the past 28 years we have done poorly in all competitions and watched clubs like Millwall, Coventry Luton etc reach finals.

The age of our support is a good point though, just using 99 for an example in the old second division. It seemed the fan base was a lot younger at away games, hence the large followings at the Tranmere, Port Vales, reading etc. Where I live for example there is a hell of a lot of blues but we all age around the mid-thirties, where as our lack of success has probably led to a decline in younger support and in general lads in there thirties (not all) have other priorities and so it does affect our away support.

Incidentally we consistently get higher attendances than Everton and although there ground is smaller they dont always fill the ground. Spurs on the other hand do fill the ground so probably cup games is a chance for non-regulars to attend and so these games are supplemented by these fans,where as at the moment we reach about 90% capacity at home games in the league and so your more casual fan get tickets for these matches.

Stoke 28k at home wasnt a great attendance, but spurs two years ago got 29k against Getafe, 30 against Shakhtar Donetsk and 31,500 against Burnley in a cup semi. Until City win something our cup attendances will always be affected.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.