impressed with Spurs turnout today

when we played them in the league cup quaters a few years back they also only took 3k. i dont understand why teams like spurs, west ham, newcastle etc. are so desperate to give us the 'our fans are better than yours' at every opportunity. end of the day football fans are all fickle bastards, they've won a lot more than us, but their songs are still shit, and their ticket prices disgraceful,

everton's away support is average and very quiet.

spurs have similar away support to us but as someone said the london £ issue is a huge factor not to mention there will of been loads of trains back to euston till late from picadilly today. when we play down there if it's any later than a 3pm ko we strugle to get a train back.

They did indeed have a good following today - no argument. Their away support has generally increased alot over the last few years (so too has Arsenal's and Chelsea's primarily due to their successes). We still do have a good away following, though nothing like what we used to take away in the 70's and 80's. In those days we were up there with anyone, wherever we were playing. I should know as I've been doing it for over 35 years ;-)

Be interested to know the average wage/income of Spurs fans v City fans as I suspect they are generally better off and so more able to pay the stupid prices for football tickets and train travel/petrol that we have to live with these days.

As for Everton I well remember back in the 80s, when they were doing badly (but still in the top league) their crowds were often about 18,000. It'd be interesting to see how 'great' their support would be after 34 years of zero success and several seasons in lower leagues.

People go on about City crowds but they have always been variable, and when I think how poor the team has been over the last X years, and how many disappointments we've had along the way it's actually amazing how many still go.

As a long standing City fan that doesn’t come from Manchester, I have met with a very negative mentality from City fans with supporting City, but not being a Mancunian. It seems that one positive aspect that City have over United is that City fans come from Manchester, while United fans come from everywhere else. This was perfectly demonstrated at the recent derby with the song ‘f**k off back to London the city is ours’. As an aside, quite why the song gets sung at subsequent games, I’m not sure.

My point is, if City are a club where supporters must come from Manchester, then no amount of success will increase the number of hard core supporters we have. Therefore, we are always going to get 28K for TV cup games against the likes of Stoke and not sell out all the away matches.

Shooter 83 said:
183sash said:
you would say teams like Spurs and say Everton are roughly the same size clubs as us,they both seem to take impressive away followings - do they do anything different to us - i couldnt see us take as many as spurs took today , to a match in London thats on telly.

6-7k to Villa on a sunday night few years ago and 6-7k to newcastle on a sunday night under keegan? Both on ITV/BBC and when we was shit??

top day ot that was. Shame we were robbed on the pitch though.

Immaculate Pasta said:
183sash said:
you would say teams like Spurs and say Everton are roughly the same size clubs as us,they both seem to take impressive away followings - do they do anything different to us - i couldnt see us take as many as spurs took today , to a match in London thats on telly.

They are both bigger clubs than us.

Everton are the same. Spurs are indeed bigger though IMO.

RACHACE said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
They are both bigger clubs than us.

In regards history you are probably right, however in regards fan base we are all of similar size. Though you would not think that from the turnout for yesterdays game, a very poor effort from blues

I'd say Spurs have more fans than us- I live in London now due to work and I'd say they are as supported as Aresnal. You'll see them sell out 60k regularly when they get a new stadium.

Immaculate Pasta said:
RACHACE said:
In regards history you are probably right, however in regards fan base we are all of similar size. Though you would not think that from the turnout for yesterdays game, a very poor effort from blues

apart from the rags, liverpool and blackburn, every away game this season hasn't sold out. Spurs and Everton sell out every away game weeks in advance.

That is bollocks. We sold out Hull away for a start.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.