In-swinging corner kicks more dangerous?

It's a common theme on bluemoon to criticise our set-piece taking, but i remember seeing stats that revealed we scored the most goals from set pieces in the last 2 seasons, and maybe the season before that too, i can't remember. So if we think WE'RE shit at them, which most seem to think we are, you should watch the other teams for comparison!

I think people over rate how much of a goal-scoring chance a corner is. I'd be interested to know how many corners there have been in total across every Premier League game this season, and how many resulted in a goal. I'd imagine the percentage would be very, very low.

DruntBlunt said:
As the title says - I can't shake the notion that in-swinging corners far more often lead to dangerous situations, and ultimately goals. I haven't checked to see if there are any statistics to support this, but I guess if there were all corners would have been taken this way. Still, for me it seems seems getting the ball closer to the goal, and with the direction the curve gives if deflected, the potential for a goal chance seems much bigger than if the the ball is swung outwards around the perimeter of the penalty-box. An in-swinging ball just needs a small nudge close to the goal, while an out-swinging needs to be met much more precisely by the attacker to become dangerous. Anyone knowledgable about this?

And, also I think we need to pay much more attention to our set-play situations, both defensively and especially in attacking situations. Lots of wasted opportunities this season IMO. Less fashion-shows and Playstation competitions and more time on the training field, and we'd have nailed the title this season too.

No. Simply because the defenders can face the ball as it's coming toward them and goal. Also easier for the keeper
Outswingers allow forwards to run on and meet the ball with full force.

It depends on who the keeper is mainly. If it was De Gea swing them in all day but if it was someone like Cech he'll catch most of them.

OB1 said:
Last season, City's Analysis team told Bobby that in-swingers are more dangerous, which is why there was eventually a change in City's corner taking. This season, we have reverted to using out-swingers more often than I would have expected.
I'm pretty sure it was the other way round, something due t the ball moving towards the defender where as with out-swingers the ball is moving towards the attacker.

Stood in The South Stand said:
It depends on who the keeper is mainly. If it was De Gea swing them in all day but if it was someone like Cech he'll catch most of them.
Don't remember him catching many last weekend.

Tricky_Trev said:
It's a common theme on bluemoon to criticise our set-piece taking, but i remember seeing stats that revealed we scored the most goals from set pieces in the last 2 seasons, and maybe the season before that too, i can't remember. So if we think WE'RE shit at them, which most seem to think we are, you should watch the other teams for comparison!

I think people over rate how much of a goal-scoring chance a corner is. I'd be interested to know how many corners there have been in total across every Premier League game this season, and how many resulted in a goal. I'd imagine the percentage would be very, very low.

I think I remember the same. We scored the most goals and defended the most successfully from what I remember. What I don't remember is what percentage of goals we scored and defended successfully. I seem to think that we had more corners than most.

Update: This Season set piece goals so far:
1: Rags FC, 19
2: Norwich, 13
2: Sjoke, 13
4: MCFC, 12
4: Reading, 12

Last Season we were top with relegated Blackburn Rovers:
1:MCFC, 19
1:Blackburn, 19
3:Rags FC, 18
4:Norwich, 16

Evidently we had the 4th best set piece conversion rate in the whole of Europe last season at 25%. That can't be right, we can't have cleared the first man 75% of the time ;-)

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/x1zvoofyguw7n-txng7ana/Show/Stats-Analysis-Chance-Conversion-from-Set-Pieces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/x1zvoofyg ... Set-Pieces</a>

Data from whoscored.com

City waste their corners and free kicks.

They are very important weapons to a team that expects to get into the 'elite' of the game.
It's very annoying to see how City handle their 'free kicks' as compared to how deadly RVP is with them.
The truth is that the best player to take them is Tevez, and he is never given the job. If Kolarov is on the park,..he takes them, with lots of power, but not much direction.
Silva's corners are not whipped in hard like RVP's, Bale's or Gerrard's.

We were always encouraged to have a man at the back post, to reduce the liklyhood of short corners.
To see the free kicks at the 40 yard mark being aimlessly tapped two yards sideways to another midfielder is an absolute waste. City may just as well not got the free if they are not going to take advantage of them.
It's long overdue that the "brains trust" on the bench for City put much more thought to this very important part of the game.
City don't value corners or free kicks in their attacking half,..it's time they did.

Stoned Rose said:
Our corners, free kicks and throw ins are fucking woeful.

How can you have a good throw in? Tactics are kind of limited if you consider that they're piss easy to defend.

We have terrible corner takers. In terms of left-footed takers, we have Dave who caresses it far too much and Kolarov who just smashes the fuck out of it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.